Is a Benelli Lift with Augmentation Right for Me? (photo)

I am trying to avoid a vertical scar (previous scars tend to pigment although don't spread) so I'm hoping a Benelli lift with augmentation (Naturelle midrange 304cc silicone) will be adequate. I am currently a 34C/D and I don't mind a little sag but am more concerned with shape, nipple placement and overall aesthetics. My PS is fine with this option although would perform a lollipop if given the choice. Am I making the right decision?

Binnelli Vs. Vertical Lift with Breast Augmentation

+2
Patients often have difficulty making a decision about a breast lift as a result of concerns regarding scarring of the breast.  This becomes more difficult if the amount of breast ptosis is minimal.  In severe cases, a wise pattern incision pattern with longer scars under the breast is necessary. Intermediate cases are well served by a vertical lift.  A Binnelli lift is only indicated when the lift necessary is minimal.  It is more effective in controlling areolar/nipple position and size in cases of asymmetry and tuberous breast deformities with herniation of the breast tissue around the areola.  Breast implants by themselves have a minimal lifting effect on nipple position.  If you combine breast augmentation with a Binnelli lift, expect minimal lifting effect as a trade off for reducing the length of your scar. A vertical lift is more effective when true breast ptosis or drooping is present and being combined with augmentation.  Long term (18 months)  the vertical scar fades nicely. 

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

When to use a circumareolar ( Benelli) lift.

+2

Thank you for your question and for your photographs. You have a mild degree of sagging of the breasts and are considering a moderate size implant.  In this situation a Benelli lift is reasonable to consider because an implant alone may not be enough to elevate the excess skin. 

Even with Benelli lift because you have a generous amout of natural breast tissue your natural breast will still have some droop, but  a little droop looks more natural.

A lollipop lift can allow more elevation of the nipple, but leaves a vertical scar. Benelli gives a more limited degree of elevation.

In my own practice many of my patients allow me the option to choose which type of  lift to use at the time of surgery. Once the implants are inserted the picture changes as skin is elevated by the implant.  You might discuss this, and your goals with your surgeon. Even so, if you choose to allow Benelli lift only you are not burning bridges, it could later be converted to a lollipop or full lift.

If you truely don't want more than a Benelli lift you may want to consider a high profile implant. A 375 high profile has a similiar diameter to the 304, but has more projection. Implants that project more elevate more skin from the get go and can sometimes diminish the degree of lift needed. Of course you chould only consider this if you are comfortable with the added volume.

I hope these options help.

Best wishes

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Benelli lift and implants

+1

It is very difficult to tell if you would be a candidate for a Benelli and an implant. Your arms are elevated in the photos and this can make your breasts look lifted.  An exam is key.

Binelli lift and Augmentation

+1

You appear to be a good candidate for a moderate size implant and lift. The Binelli lift will help, but might reduce projection a bit. The Binelli with a vertical component will give excellent shape and projection.

Your concerns seem to be the scars. The vertical scar is almost always the best one on the breast and heals beautifully. I would also recommend post operative taping of the scars for 4-6 weeks and the addition of SkinMedica Scar Recovery Gel. This is the Best scar treatment to date. I give each of my cosmetic patients a tube one this (free) one week after surgery as I have seen the results and want the best for my patients. It works! 

Keep the discussions open with your Plastic Surgeon so you are both on the same page for expected outcomes. Good Luck.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Benelli vs.. Vertical breast lift

+1

The vertical lift offers the most stable and significant improvement in breast shape and overall aesthetics  in women who have moderate to significant drooping as compared with the Benelli(doughnut) lift.  Of course you are the best judge of your desired outcome and your tolerance for the trade-off in scarring.  In my experience the verttical scar is well worth the results in most patients and tends to heal well.  

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

May not get the result you want with a doughnut (Benelli) breast lift

+1

The biggest problem with the Benelli breast lift is that you get minimal lift with the risk loosing breast projection.   On the right candidate the procedure works very well.  I generally reserve this operation to women who have enlarged areola along with a mild degree of sagging.  In your particular situation you definitely are at risk for not achieving the result you desire.  You are at risk for developing widened peri-areolar scars and a widening of the diameter of the areola.  The addition of the vertical or lollipop scar takes the pressure off of the areola, gives you improved breast projection and the correct proportion of the nipple to the crease under the breast.  I would follow your plastic surgeons advice in your situation.  

Two main breast lift considerations

+1

Thank you for the photo and question.  Both options are reasonable, the bigger question is what would you like to achieve most.  Avoiding a vertical incision and getting the best breast shape are mutually exclusive in your case since the vertical incision would help cone the breast.  You can also get a Benelli lift and then add a vertical component later on if you so choose.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

No Be

+1

Dr Minetti is absolutely correct. Benelli lift is path to a poor result for your breasts. Why not just wait til you're ready to accept a vertical scar and trade a scar for a great shape. 

Joel Aronowitz, MD

Hello

+1

If your not concerned about the sag, a modest implant with a periareolar lift will give you good enough results. If after its all said and done and your not 100% happy you can always redo the lift to vertical lift.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS