Benelli Lift and 550cc Gel Implants 4 Weeks Post Op, Incision Isn't Getting Better? (photo)

I am 4 weeks post op now and my left breast incision isn't getting better yet my PS says it will heal on its own. The incision just keeps getting deeper and wider... Please tell me if this is normal my right breat is healing very nice. Is there something my PS can do to stop it from getting worse? I am on three different antibiotics and have been for three weeks now.

Open wound after Benelli breast lift will heal with good local wound care

+1

Thank you for your question and photograph. I'm very sorry you are having this problem after breast augmentation and a Benelli breast lift.

As disturbing as this looks to you it will improve with time. The most important component of wound care is removing any dead tissue. Wet-to-dry dressings, and debridement by your surgeon will hopefully leave the base of the wound clean with bright red tissue that bleeds easily. New skin cells cannot grow over black, yellow, green or other colored tissue that is not healthy.

In time the skin should heal but you will have widened pink to white scars around the nipple areola eventually., After you have completely healed scar revision should be possible.

Wound healing

+1

This is definitely not normal, as you can tell with the other side healing well.
Wounds breakdown for a reason, either an infection or dead tissue.

If the dead tissue is superficial, then local wound dressings will debride the wound and yes it will heal. But very slowly.

If the dead tissue is deeper, then you need a formal surgical debridement to remove the dead tissue. You don't want the implant to get infected.

If your wound is getting worse, rather than better. I suspect you have deeper tissue necrosis and will need surgical intervention.

Good luck

Pouria Moradi, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

+1

Unfortunately you have a wound edge necrosis with dehiscence. Local wound care is indicated and the healing by secondary intention and re epithialization take a few months. 

Benelli breakdown

+1

Wounds such as yours will heal.  So keep doing your wound care and don't despair.  I hope your lift creates the result you wished for.  If your scars are much more than you anticipated, revisions can always be done at a later time.

Curtis Wong, MD

Incision Isn't Getting Better?

+1

Although this may look more unpleasant than did the photo from two weeks ago, this is the process of healing after the complication you have had, which probably resulted from not enough blood supply to the tissues. Neither dissolving nor permanent sutures would have held this together, and even if they did, they would have buried non-viable tissue which would have been harmful. 

It may seem that sewing this back up would be the fastest way to fix this, but the chances of wound infection are so high that this is really hazardous, and is likely to fail, setting you back several weeks from recovery. 

Wound care is the appropriate treatment. Stay in close touch with your surgeon as this continues to heal. 

Benelli lift and healing

+1

It looks like you had some wound separation and secondary healing. Once it has healed , the scar can be possibly revised a few months later.  Good luck.

Open wound after breast lift

+1

It appears that you have a wound separation around your areola due to necrosis (non viable tissue) of your soft tissues around the areola. The good news is that it seems that your nipple areolar complex is viable. Your plastic surgeon should manage this conservatively with wound dressings and antibiotics. The wounds should heal over time and any revision could be done at a later stage. The most important thing is to avoid an infection that can worsen the problem.

Good luck 

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Incision Isn't Getting Better

+1

Thank your the question and the photos. Judging from the pictures you are experiencing a wound disruption secondary to a disruption of blood flow to the tissues. It is important that you closely follow up with your plastic surgeon as with good local wound care this will heal, but will take time. After the wound has healed the scar may be wide and require revision. If the exposed tissues are allowed to desiccate or become infected there will be further tissue loss.

Again be patient and continue to follow up closely with your plastic surgery. This will heal. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Wound Separation after Breast Augmentation and Breast Lift

+1

The wound separation should be managed conservatively.  This area should not be restitched at this point due to unacceptable risk of infection.  The area should heal but the scar may be wide.  This can be revised in the future if necessary.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Benelli lift and 550cc implants with incision opening up

+1

Thank you for your question and photos. Now it is the time to stay close to your plastic surgeon and follow his advise. Your incision opened up due to the tightness of the tissues and suture line. I'm not sure what your breasts looked prior to the procedure, but it looks from the middle photo that you developed tissue necrosis (devascularized tissue due to lack of blood flow) around your left areola. Although your wound is deeper and wider, it looks clean. As long as the implant pocket is not violated, it should heal. You will need a scar revision on both in the future. Your right side will end up with a wide scar as well. There's a lot of tension and scar formation around your areola. I personally do not like Benelli lifts, although you try to keep scars short or hidden, this is how many will end up. In the rare occassion that I do one, I use a Gortex, permanent suture to prevent the areola from spreading and getting the "sun burst" effect. Good luck with your healing.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon