Is a Benelli Breast Lift Necessary or Would I Look Alright with Just Breast Implants

im getting breast implants but my PC tells me it would look better with a breast lift around the areola. Im only 20 but my breasts are kind of droopy because of weight loss.. :( will the scars be very noticeable??

Breast lift or not?

+2

From your photo, I'd agree with your doctor that you would look "better" with a periareolar lift at the same time as the implants.  The biggest mistake to make in my opinion is to go above the muscle with an implant bigger than you want to be all to try to get around doing the lift.  This leads to a matronly looking result that doesn't stand the terst of time.

Do I need a Benelli breast lift or just implants?

+1

From your photos, I believe that it is possble that you could have just augmentation and not necessarily need a lift.  It is difficult to tell without making measurements, but it comes down to the position of your nipple in relation to the level of the inframammary fold, and how much overhang of breast tissue you have below the fold.  The bottom of the implant is at the level of the fold, so a nipple below the fold is so far below the "equator" of the implant that it is going to point down, and too much overhang of tissue below the fold will not be filled out by an implant, and it is going to hang off of the implant.  There are some patients who are somewhat borderline...the nipples are at the fold, not below it but not above it either, and there is a bit of overhang but not too much.  Sure, if they want their nipples to be higher and are willing to have the scars of a breast lift, then they should have one.  But they may be happy to avoid a lift and they may get a good contour by augmentation alone.  Again, it comes down to how things "measure out".  In a borderline patient, I suggest they have the augmentation, and consider a lift later IF they feel that they need one.  But I must emphasize, THIS IS ONLY IN BORDERLINE PATIENTS. Patients who have a truly sagging overhanging breast with a nipple below the fold level need a lift, and attempts to avoid one by placing large implants in the breast, or placing large implants above the muscle in a thin patient in order to "lift" the breast are doomed to failure, and cause more problems and result in more surgeries to try to correct those problems!

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Breast lift and implant

+1

I would prefer just implants for you. You do not seem to have any significant degree of ptosis - so a Benelli breast lift should not be needed. However this suggestion is only based on one photograph, and not examination - so please discuss with your surgeon.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants and Breast Lift - Do I Need A Lift?

+1

Hi Asked 6 days ago by CharlieCharlie5555 in canada,

As always, there are not necessarily any "right' answers...but I'll give you my thoughts on this.

Increasingly, I try to avoid lifts it at all possible (more formal lifts - such as circumareolar, vertical, or inverted-T) in association with implants.  There are times that you need them, and if you do, you do.  But if there's a choice, and particularly in a young woman like yourself, I would try to avoid a lift.  All scar are permanent and you never know what any scar will look like.  So for someone who is older and (perhaps!) more settled in life, it may make more sense.

The other side of this is that it is normally not possible to have "perfect" breasts when you already have a little sagging (nothing personal...sorry!). 

But I would say that implants alone will give you a very nice result, and avoiding the scars of a lift is a good idea.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

A breast lift and implants are great to improve the appearance of the breasts

+1

You may need a breast lift around the areola as well as implants to maximize the aesthetic appearance of your breasts.  The scars usually heal very well after this type of procedure if you go with an implant size that is not extrememly large.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Not enough information

+1

You are not providing we plastic surgeons with enough information to reliably advise you of the best course.   How much weight did you lose?  What does the ptosis (droop) look like from the side view.  How firm or elastic is your breast skin?  In  my case I would require a physical examination  before rendering a reliable opinion.  In my experience my twenty year olds have only very rarely required a periareolar breast lift when implants were inserted.  And those cases had very unique problems which I do not see on your photo.  Remember, you could always do the lift as a second stage intervention if implants alone do not do the job properly, as long as you place the implants through a periareolar incision.

Raymond A. Capone, Jr., MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation or Augmentation with Mastopexy

+1

Although an exam is needed to be certain, it appears from your photos that you would have a nice result with an augmentation without a lift, if you are seeking a natural result.  The key is the location of your nipple.  If ot is above your inframammary fold, you usually can obtain a nice result without a mastopexy and the additional potential scarring.

John Whitt, MD

You may not need lift

+1

Your nipples are above the inframammary fold and biplane ,submuscular and high profile implants will give enough lift. If you did not like the nipple position after surgery, You can get lift later on. In general , combined lift and implant has much higher risk of complications. If your surgeon agree to show you his best  and  worst result with the combined procedure and you liked his results,then let your surgeon to do the combined procedure.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Benelli operation?

+1

if a Benelli is performed correctly, it is a good operation. The problem is that most people do not do the operation as Dr. Benelli described. Looking at your photographs which are not complete,  it appears that the nipple is just at level of your fold, a sub glandular augmentation with the proper size implant might just be adequate for you.it really depends upon the size that you wish to have. Certainly, your surgeon will be able to explain the advantages and disadvantages using the Benelli in terms of scarring and potential flattening of the breast.

John E. Sherman, MD

+1

Thanks for the photo and great question. Based upon your posted photo and what you might expect, I would recommend a slightly larger size (like 400 cc HP) as the operation. If not satisfied after 3 months than under local anesthesias do a donut lift. But best to see a few boarded surgeons in your area.