Benefits of Massage After Labiaplasty?

What are the benefits of myofascial release massage after undergoing labiaplasty as opposed to just healing naturally? How soon after undergoing labiaplasty should I begin a myofascial release massage regimen?

There Is No Muscle Or Fascia In The Labia Minora, Therefore What Are You Talking About?

+1

As a guy who works out a lot, I often get myofascial release for sore muscles, but there are no muscles or fascia in the labia majora or minora.  Therefore, any theory that you can get myofascial release in this area makes no sense.  Massaging of any new scars in this area increases the change of tearing them apart.  Labia minora scars are like scars inside the mouth.  They naturally just go away with time (like biting your cheek).  Rarely are there any significant scars on the labia minora, but if you have them and they persist, please see your plastic surgeon as he or she is the best person to advise you on how to treat them.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Myofascial release massage after labioplasty is neither beneficial nor necessary.

+1

The labia have no muscular or fascial tissues, and labioplasty consists of skin removal using one of several techniques. While the labial skin is quite durable and holds sutures well, this area is subject to movement, moisture, vasocongestion, and bacterial contamination, so any excessive "activity," including any kind of massage therapy, is NOT recommended. Bleeding, bruising, excessive swelling, and incisional breakdown can result from unneeded activity, and can delay healing. The final result, however, does not change unless severe untreated infection causes additional tissue loss.

Whomever recommended this "therapy" is either trying to make an unscrupulous buck by exploiting your gullibility, or is making inappropriate sexual advances. Neither is good. Just say NO.

Let your tissues heal with as little external trauma or irritation as possible. Two weeks is minimal; three weeks is better.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Massage after Labia reduction surgery

+1

I agree with the others in that normally, massage after labia reduction surgery is not recommended.  Allow yourself time to heal.  Keep in communication with your surgeon and get the "green light" before doing any type of massage or activity that may compromise the final result.

Massage after Labiaplasty

+1

Massage is usually not needed after labiaplasty unless you have troublesome scarring (which is unusual) In any case I would not begin any kind of massage before you are fully healed, at least 4 weeks. And if the massage is painful, back off. Hope that helps. Good Luck

Johan E. Brahme, MD

Massage after labiaplasty

+1

I have not had a specific massage regimen for my labiaplasty patients and have been doing them for over ten years. They heal well in the majority of patients. I would not do any massage down there until your doctor says it is OK. "Too much too soon" might compromise the healing or rupture a wound.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Post labioplasty massage

+1
I would be cautious with post op massage for 6 weeks. Labial tissues ate relatively frail and suture line breakdown NOT uncommon. Surgical techniques vary so it is best to ask your surgeon for their advise

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from Labiaplasty

+1

The female vulva, including the labia, is a very robust piece of anatomy which has a great immune system and filled with a more than ample blood supply - meaning it has an incredible ability to heal after surgery.  In other words just let "Mother Nature" take its course is the healing process and you should be fine (i.e. no need for any special "myofascial release massages").  Best of luck...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD