Could I Benefit from Rhinoplasty and Chin Augmentation?

I'm a 20 year old male of Asian origin extremely insecure about the way I look. Nostrils appear uneven and kind of bulbous and the chin seems to be "weak" and not in balance with the face. Judging by the photos, what do you suggest would be the best way to achieve better facial harmony? Also, another problem is that I look much younger than my age. Could it possibly have anything to do with the way my chin is? All this is really hurting my confidence. thanks ahead!

Rhinoplasty and Chin Augmentation

+3

Based on the photos you have submitted, your chin does appear to be on the small side. I agree that a chin implant would give your lower face a stronger, more mature appearance. At the same time that I perform chin augmentation, I often perform liposuction of the neck (submental liposuction) to remove a small amount of fat from under the chin and give better definition to the neck and jawline. 

As for your nose, obviously an in-person evaluation or additional photos would be helpful. Based on the views you have submitted, you may benefit from a rhinoplasty to refine of your tip and nostrils. Other aspects of the nose, such as the height of the bridge, tip position, or depth of your radix (the starting point of the nose, just below the forehead) could be discussed in greater depth in the setting of a consultation. I utilize computer imaging during all rhinoplasty consultations as I find it an excellent way for patients to communicate the cosmetic changes they would like to see. Also, it's a wonderful opportunity for me to let the patients know what is realistic and achievable given their unique anatomy and skin type. I use these "morphed" photos in the OR during your surgery as a guide or template. 

The last point for you to consider is that the relationship between the chin and nose is very important for facial harmony and balance. A small chin causes the nose to look more prominent.

Dr. Mehta

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and chin augmentation

+1

A rhinoplasty is performed to removal any hump on the bridge of the nose, narrow the nasal bones, and refine the tip to give further balance of the facial features.  A chin augmentation is performed through a submental incision underneath the chin and a silastic implant is placed on the bone.  The implant is placed in the subperiosteal pocket underneath the skin, muscle, and periosteum and directly over the bone.  The chin implants come in small, medium, large, and extra large and we prefer the silastic variety.  There are usually very few complications associated with these implants.  

To do photo imaging with your own photo, download our iPhone app free of charge.  Just enter "Seattle Plastic Surgery with Dr. Portuese" as search terms.  Once downloaded, you can simulate rhinoplasty by changing the shape of your nose to be smaller, larger, etc... You can simulate chin augmentation as well. 

You appear to be a favorable candidate for Chin Implant Surgery.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos. You appear have a retrusive chin which has the effect of making your nose look bigger than it is. In my view, a well-performed Chin Implant Surgery could restore your facial balance, and improve your appearance. I would consider holding off on Rhinoplasty Surgery: you have a nice nose.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ:

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Benefits from Rhinoplasty and Chin Augmentation

+1

The appearance of your nose and chin can be improved with a rhinoplasty and chin augmentation, but that does not mean the surgery would be good for you. That's a decision that you have to make. Why do you want the surgery and what are your expectations? Consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Benefits of chin augmentation and rhinoplasty

+1

Your chin could be given more projection using a chin augmentation procedure (chin implant or sliding genioplasty). This tends to give people a somewhat more mature appearance, which seems to be what you're looking for.

It'd be difficult for me to give you a full assessment of your nose, though, using the supplied photos. You'd may be surprised to find out how much of a change only augmenting the chin can give. I would recommend consulting with a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon who has extensive experience with chin and nose surgery to see what your options are.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty and Chin Augmentation to Achieve Facial Balance

+1

Judging from your photos, the nostrils appear a little wide, and this can be addressed in a relatively straightforward manner.   The tip appears normal.  Your chin does appear somewhat retruded.  This can be addressed with a chin implant.  It cannot be accurately assessed from your images, however.  3 dimensional imaging analysis would be extremely helpful in determining how much reshaping of the nose and chin would be needed.

Gary D. Breslow, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic surgery

+1

You need to decide what bothers you, what features you do not like and want to improve. It is wrong to post a picture and ask what does this face need?

you can post the picture of the Monalisa and ask what would you change? I am sure many cosmetic surgeons would list many procedures, and wanna be cosmetis surgeons would inject and change and propose many UN NEEDED PROCEDURES.

CONSULT A BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON ( AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY ) express your desires and concerns and after a thorough exam all options can be discussed. Compter imaging can help you visualize the changes proposed.