How Much Would I Benefit from Rhinoplasty?

I'm sixteen years old, and I've been self conscious about my nose since middle school. I absolutely hate it - it's without a doubt the one part of my appearance that I truly can't stand. Also, it hurts almost constantly. I don't know why. It just constantly feels like it's bruised, as if someone punched me in the face. It has hurt on and off for years, but it's felt more constant recently. It hurts right where the bump is. Would I benefit from rhinoplasty?

Rhinoplasty improves nasal bump but will not improve pain

+1

Having had a rhinoplasty myself at age 14, I can tell you that it helped my self-esteem more than anything I have ever done, which is why I became a rhinoplasty surgeon. Yes, you are a candidate for surgery to improve your nasal appearance. It's not clear,however, why you have pain. Pain is not an indication for cosmetic surgery. You need a complete exam to see if there is a medical reason for the pain you describe.

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty at age 16

+1
Rhinoplasty can reliably remove a hump if it is major nuisance to you. The pain you describe can be an indicator of possible rhinitis or nasal pressure related to areas of nasal obstruction. A formal in-person consultation with a nasal rhinoplastic specialist is necessary. Typically the earliest age poossible for rhinoplasty is around 16 years old, but this depends on your current growth rate. You may also need to take into consideration that your perceptions regarding your face may change as you age and as you embark on other activities in life that may make your nose pootentially less of a priority. I would be happy to provide you with a comprehensive evaluation with a discussion of the goals for your nose. Being that you are underaged, your parents must be involved. Good luck!

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

If you are unhappy with the appearance of your nose, certainly this can be improved. As for "pain"? this is unusual and  may not be improved at all from surgery and could make it worse. It probably deserves an evaluation.

Benefit from rhinoplasty is in the head as well as the nose.

+1

Pain does nor come from the nasal bump! Have your surgeon check your sinuses. If removal of the bump and refinement of the tip, is what you want you can have that with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. It often gives patients more self confidence but you need to be sure of your goals first. Your nose is done growing and you can have surgery when you have clear goals.

Physical and psychological benefits of rhinoplasty

+1

Patients who undergo a rhinoplasty to improve their appearance typically improve their self image as well according to most published studies. However, the decision to do a rhinoplasty is a personal one and should be carefully thought out. If the hump bothers you, the procedure to correct it is quite straight forward. I would involve your parents in the decision making process if you choose to do the procedure prior to 18 or when you can afford to pay for the procedure on your own. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

The benefit from rhinoplasty depends on the patient, the surgeon, and the goal.

+1

You have a nose with a bump that can be removed, and your tip can be refined.  That does not necessarily mean that you should have a rhinoplasty.

What is your goal?  Straight bridge?  Still a small bump (a more common request than you might guess)?  A sharper tip?  Better airway? The answers to all these cushions will determine your goals.  Then find a surgeon whom you trust, and who can show you results in other patients with noses like yours that you like.

Good luck.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Benifits of rhinoplasty

+1

It sounds like your body image is effecting your confidence and social interaction at a very critical time in your life and a rhinoplasty MIGHT be benificial ,BUT many at 16 have not acheived facial matururity. So it might be better to wait a few years to see the eventual balence and harmony as your lower face mature

As for the pain do you wear malfitting glasses? If not surgery would probably not help.

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

You neeed to discuss your concerns with your parents

+1

Your concerns about the nasal shape should be discussed with your parents and your plastic surgeon. Your level of complain about the nasal shape does not correlate to the limited views that you have posted. You also need to wait till you have finished with your growth.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

+1

By your own writing you "want" a rhinoplasty. So obtain at least 3 opinions in person from boarded surgeons in your area of the country.