Can I Benefit from Mini Tummy Tuck or Tummy Tuck?

I am young but I have had three children and as a result I have extreme stretch marks. I am very slim with flat abs but i do have loose skin and stretch marks. Will a tummy tuck help?

Tummy Tuck for lower stretch marks, laser for upper

+1

Thank you for your question. A Tummy Tuck will help your abdomen but cannot remove all stretch marks. For stretch marks that are left above the area of your current belly button the laser treatment described in the link below may help.

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. Congratulations on maintaining the figure that you have maintained having had 3 children! In order to achieve the best results possible you will be best served with a full tummy tuck procedure. 

There are different types of  'tummy tucks"  they can be performed depending on the  specific patient's  needs and goals.

In my opinion, for example,the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

For some patients an area of concern may be the “muffin top” (flank or lower back skin and adipose tissue).Treatment of the stubborn muffin top involves excision (lipectomy) of excess skin and adipose tissue. Liposuction  surgery alone  will potentially leave you with loose skin and an  unsatisfactory result.

Treatment of this stubborn area involves excision (lipectomy) of excess skin and adipose tissue. Liposuction  surgery alone  will potentially leave the patient with loose skin and an  unsatisfactory result.

Although not relevant in many cases, patients who are undergoing a standard tummy tuck procedure  should be aware however that often an “extended” tummy tuck is necessary to treat the muffin top area. This extended tummy tuck procedure involves flank and back skin and adipose tissue excision as well as liposuction surgery. If liposuction alone is done the patient may still end up with the muffin top and require further surgery to improve the waistline in the future.

It is important to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve your chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Full versus mini tummy tuck

+1

You clearly need a full muscle repair but that does not mean you need a full tummy tuck. That decision depends on how loose your sklin is. Meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the options.

Shape your body!

+1

India09, you are to be congratulated for maintaining your body after three pregnancies.  I agree that you would benefit from repair of the splaying of the "six pack" muscles" (plication of the diastasis recti) from your rib to pelvis, in other words a full tummy tuck.  Choose a PS who has experience and interest in keeping the scars within the confines of your usual underwear or bathing suits.  Unlike heavier individuals, your results will be better because you don't have excess hip roll fat.  Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Regular tummy tuck

+1

You need a full tummy tuck with muscle plication. Anything less will leave you with a poor result. Go for it.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD