Would I Benefit from Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I am considering rhinoplasty but am not sure if it would give me the look I want. I don't think my nose is currently in harmony with the rest of my face and I especially dislike how wide and large it looks when I smile. Would deprojection help? Or just a tip refinement? Does my nose only seem out of proportion because of my chin? I am very nervous about surgery so I'd like to know if I have any options that are less invasive, too.

Would I benefit from rhinoplasty

+1

While it is true that the nose looks overly projected anytime there is an under projection of the chin, the consideration for performing both a rhinoplasty to decrease the projection of the nose and a chin implant to increase projection of the chin will give significant facial balance and the nose will look less prominent and will be in harmony with the patient’s facial features.  Narrowing the nasal bridge can be performed with osteotomies, a small amount of tip surgery can reduce the bulbousness of the tip, and releasing of the depressor septi ligament will prevent the tip from drooping down upon smiling.  All of the incisions are made on the inside through closed rhinoplasty techniques.  The chin implant surgery involves a small ½ inch incision on the underneath side of the chin whereby a small silastic chin implant is placed directly over the bone in the chin area to improve the projection of the chin.  Computer imaging is a valuable communication tool during consultation to give the patient an idea of how the combination of nose and chin surgery will look with their facial features.

Would I benefit from rhinoplasty?

+1

Based on your photos, it appears you would benefit from a rhinoplasty if you wish to make some changes and enhance the appearance of your nose. Rasping of the nasal hump and slightly lifting the tip would definitely improve your nose. A small chin implant would also be a great option to further enhance your profile, I think you would be really happy with the end result. At this point, I would recommend a consultation with a board certified rhinoplasty surgeon who uses computer imaging software. This will allow you to get an idea of how your nose may appear following surgery. It also serves as a fantastic communication tool between you and your prospective surgeon, as it will allow you to state your opinion and critique the image they have created to ensure you are happy with the surgery plan and will absolutely love the end result. I hope this helps, and please feel free to ask any specific questions about the surgery, I would be happy to answer them!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

Your posted photos are hard to assess because you blacked out the eyes. You either have a small dorsal hump that could be removed or a low radix that could be augmented. The width of the nostril base is measured when the patient is not smiling and the amount of tissue to be removed if any is measured in that position. If you cut based on the smiling position it may be too small when you are not smiling. The tip does not look over projecting relative to the length so your case is hard to assess from just the posted photos.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Facial harmony

+1

Thanks for your post. The goal of a good rhinoplasty is to bring the nose into harmony with the rest of the face. Part of this facial harmony is taking the chin into account. Looking at your photos you have a bit of both. Rescaling the nose alone would certainly be aesthetically pleasing. Adding projection to the chin would further help this goal. What is essential with any reduction rhinoplasty (making the nose smaller) is for it to be done in a structurally sound manner. When interviewing surgeons make sure you ask about their techniques as well as their experience. My preference for the chin is to use a silicone implant. I prefer making the incision on the inside of the mouth. This allows me to secure the implant to the jawbone and avoid an outside incision. Make sure you look at lots of before and after photos when talking to surgeons and picks someone who understands your aesthetic goals and can achieve them. Sometimes you have to travel to accomplish this but it is worth the effort!!

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Chin Augmentation for Improved Facial Balance

+1

It sounds like you are largely correct in your own facial analysis. Your nose is long with an under-rotated tip and a short chin. Deprojecting your nose and refining the tip with alar base reduction and a chin implant would go a long way to achieving your goal of a more balanced face. This can be shown well by computer imaging which you should do before ever having surgery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Rhinoplasty

+1

Yes I think you would benefit from a rhinoplasty. But the question you are asking is will you be happy.

That answer will never be resolved untill you have the surgery. You can however get close to the answer by having clear esthetic goals and comunicate them to your surgeon. Having him formulate a good operative plan that you can understand and he can achieve. Your first step is to seek consultation from someone you would consider having him operate on you.

On a more specific level, as an adjunct to your rhinoplasty you need to consider releasing the upper lip so that your smile is less "gummy", and fat filling for your nasolabial folds.

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty and chin implant for large nose and weak chin.

+1

You would look best with a rhinoplasty with a chin implant. There are no less invasive treatments. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does natural noses that YOU like. 

Would I Benefit from Rhinoplasty?

+1

Aesthetically speaking the nose appears long because the nasal tip is under-ritated.  The nasal tip is not however over-projected but should be rotated upward to ~ 105 degrees.  There is a slight dorsal hump that could be reduced.  The chin is quite weak which makes the nose appear larger than it truly is.  The chin could be augmented with a Chin Implant to balance the lower face.  Closed Rhinoplasty would be able to thin the thin and rotate the nasal tip as well as reduce the dorsal hump.  Hope this helps.

Am I a rhinoplasty candidate?

+1

Basically I do think you are a  candidate for a rhinoplasty. As to the details of the operation, that will best be determined during your consultation with the surgeon.  From your pictures it looks like you would need a full rhinoplasty. Concerning your chin, it doesn't seem to me that you need a chin implant, but you probably will find different opinions on that.  I don't know of any non-surgical methods of achieving your goals.  You have an attractive face and I think will have a nice result. Good luck.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

All good questions. Yes , I would deproject your tip and bring down your dorsum a little. Also you may want to consider narrowing your nostrils and a chin implant to balance out your profile. Best thing to do is send your pics to the link below and I can computer image your nose so you can see what you will look like after the surgery.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS