Would I Benefit from a Nose Job? (photo)

I was told I have a deviated septum which is why my nose looks slightly crooked. I also have a bump on my nose and I feel like I have a droopy tip. I have been insecure about my nose for years and I'm wondering if I would really benefit from rhinoplasty and if so, what I should probably get done.

Correction of the deviated nose and bulbous tip in rhinoplasty

+2

Thanks very much for the question and photos. The bridge of your nose is deviated, which is the result of deviation of your nasal bones and septum. This could be the result of a prior fracture. Additionally, your bridge is slightly convex and your tip is on the bulbous side. The tip of your nose could certainly be lifted a bit, if you so desire.

I think you would be a very good candidate for a rhinoplasty (nosejob). The bridge could be straightened with a combination of osteotomies (tiny controlled fractures the nasal bones) and cartilage grafting. This may also improve your ability to breathe and it's possible that insurance coverage could offset a large portion of the cost of your surgery. The bridge could be lowered a bit and your tip could be refined with certain suture techniques combined with cartilage grafting and/or trimming your existing cartilages. The tip could also be lifted a bit with a small columellar strut and/or a septocolumellar suture.

Computer imaging would be helpful for you, to help crystallize your aesthetic goals when it comes to your nose. Be sure to consult with surgeons who are rhinoplasty specialists.

Dr. Mehta

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for Crooked Nose

+1

If you have unilateral breathing problems, the septum could be one problem as well as internal nasal valve or turbinates.  The external changes you want can be achieved with rhinoplasty.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Would I benefit from a nose job

+1

It is impossible to tell if a deviated septum is present since the deviation is located in the internal portion of the nose. A diagnosis can only be made by a physician looking inside the nose. This nose is significantly crooked enough that there probably is a deviated septum.  What is obvious from the outside of the nose is that it appears that the nasal bones have been fractured and the upper lateral cartilage on the patient’s right side is herniated downward and inward around the nasal bone.  This is creating the crookedness to the nose and would be best addressed through a spreader graft and osteotomies, along with any hump reduction.  For noses similar to this, please see our rhinoplasty photo gallery.

Septorhinoplasty can improve breathing

+1

A procedure to correct your septum at the same time as the rhinoplasty is the best.  Sometimes the cartilage harvested from the septum can make grafts that are very useful for shaping the nose.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Would I benefit from rhinoplasty?

+1

The decision to have rhinoplasty performed is truly up to the patient. It is possible to make improvements to your nose. Your quality of life can be enhanced following the repair of a deviated septum, as your breathing will be improved. I would recommend a consult with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist who uses computer imaging software. He/she will be able to morph a photo of you and give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Benefits of rhinoplasty

+1

thank you for the photos. Based on what I see here externally I could see it's likely you do have a deviated septum. The septoplasty would be covered by insurance but it would not change the appearance of your nose when done through the typical endonasal approach. Improving the appearance of your nose would include septoplasty, possible spreader grafts, reduction of the lower lateral cartilages of the nasal tip to make it less round.  you'll also need a reduction of the hump to create a straighter profile but the rule is to be a bit conservative with this as over resection of the hump will create a concave look or scooped out appearance particularly as you age because you have thin skin.

To address the possible benefits; I think your nose would show improvement with these maneuvers described above. One thing you may add is slight augmentation of the chin which automatically gives the nose a less projected appearance and brings the face and to general harmony.

I hope that was helpful

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deviated nose with bulbous tip

+1

Hi.  Yes, fixing your bulbous tip and deviated nose would be a nice improvement.  Make sure that you go to a surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty- not someone who does just a few cases each year.

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for crooked nose and tip and bump

+1

You certainly could benefit froma rhinoplasty to correct yoru deviation, bump, and low tip.  Best to go for a consultation.