Would I benefit from a lip revision? (photos)

I had a laceration on my right upper lip that goes from the mid lip to just a hair past the vermilion border. I had 2, absorbing 4.0 sutures put in. And it's been just a year and the scar seems more pronounced... When I'm not smiling it's not as bad. But when I talk and smile, it's definately noticeable. It's bumpy and from time to time I get a slight pinch, Not bad, more of an annoyance. The scar is not straight, it has a slight curve. Thank you in advance!

Lip Revision

+1
You should leave your scar alone for another year. Small precisely placed drops of Kenalog will soften the scar tissue. It does appear that the vermillion border of your lips is properly aligned. This is the most important aspect of facial surgery. I believe your symptoms will be relieved by the steroid, kenalog. There is also a silicone based ointment that will make the wound softer.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Revision?

+1
The answer is ......maybe. A hands-on evaluation would be necessary. the advantage of a revision is you have a precise "injury" without surrounding tissue trauma and more favorable healing conditions. This is not a guarantee though as everyone heals differently due to their individual genetic make-up.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Upper lip scar

+1
Thank you for your question and photos.

If the scar is concerning (painful, bumpy, cosmetic concern etc) I would recommend that you have an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss treatment options.

Best Regards,

Dr. Stutman

Ross Stutman, MD
Mesa Plastic Surgeon