Would I Benefit from Chin Reduction Surgery? (New Photos Added)

I've never been really satisfied with my looks - especially my profile. Specifically, I feel my head is too 'tall', which in my opinion is partly caused by my overly large chin. Would reducing the vertical height of my chin (and perhaps advancing it forward using an implant) benefit me? Thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated!

A Vote Against Chin Augmentation or Sliding Genioplasty

+1

We cosmetic surgeons judge the relationship of one part of the face to another. For example, looking at a profile view, the front of the chin should touch an imaginery vertical line touching the front of both the upper and lower lip. If the lips are not identically aligned, then use the lower lip as the guide.

From the submitted photos, it appears you chin meets the test of meeting that vertical line so I would not suggest any change.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Chin height reduction and increased projection

+1

A sliding genioplasty (surgically cutting the chin bone to move it forward and upward at the same time) is the best option to achieve a reduction in vertical height and more projection of the chin at the same time.  Based only on your photos, it appears as though the overall proportions of your face, head and chin are okay so I would next recommend a in office consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can visualize you 3-dimensionally and even manipulate some computer generated images of you to see if YOU like the (projected) end result.  Glad to help... @drryanstanton 

Ryan Stanton, MD

Sliding Genioplasty For Increasing Chin Projection and Decreasing Chin Height

+1

The combination of horizontal chin advancement and vertical chin reduction can only be achieved by a sliding genioplasty. A chin implant will provide increased horizontal projection but will not decrease chin height and may actually make it look even longer. I would recommend that you have some computer imaging done to see how these changes look on you which will help you decide if any chin procedure is beneficial and, if so, whether a chin implant vs an osteotomy creates  a better facial look.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD