Just had a rhinoplasty and I think the surgeon was considering recommending a chin implant. Would I benefit from this? (photo)

I just had a rhinoplasty. During the consult my surgeon kept feeling my chin and looking at it carefully. He didn't say anything, but I know he was considering recommending a chin implant. Would one be beneficial to me?

Rhinoplasty with chin implant

+1

Dear Nosegirl1990,

1. A chin implant would look great on you and complement the results of the rhinoplasty
  2. They look natural (when done correctly) and have a high satisfaction rate

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Chin implant at time of rhinoplasty

+1

In the photo, though limited in view, it appears that you could benefit from a small implant. It is really tough to say without a better view of your face.The photo posted is not ideal to assess your chin. You really need to see the chin in relation to the rest of the face, which is partly hidden and partly whited out by lighting, and also not a true lateral view. Basically in terms of "ideal" facial proportions, you want the upper lip and the chin to line up, and it seems your chin is set back a bit (at least in this view). It would also help to see the line of the forehead and rest of your nose. In some patients there is only a subtle benefit, and your surgeon may have felt it was not necessary. You can bring up your concerns at your follow-up visit, and see what your surgeon's thoughts were.

Anita Patel, MD

Would I Benefit from a Chin Implant?

+1

Please share this answer with your parents if you are under 18 years of age.  Yes, from the profile photo provided the chin is very weak.  A weak chin makes the nose appear larger than it truly is.  The upper face appears off balance with a weak chin, hence the benfit of Chin Augmentation with a Chin Implant.  I have performed many of these over the past 25 years and frequently combine this with the Rhinoplasty is that's also under consideration by the patient.  

Chin Implant? #facialsurgery

+1

Chin augmentation can be a great complement to a Rhinoplasty procedure if it is needed. Most likely your surgeon was looking to see if you would benefit from one and if they did not mention it then you probably did not need one. We look at the chin in every patient that is having a Rhinoplasty or facial cosmetic surgery. You photograph is not really good enough to accurately tell you one way or the other. Enjoy your new nose!

Richard J. Brown, MD

Would I Benefit from a Chin Implant?

+1

You would need to have a lack of chin projection, which is a bit difficult to determine from this single photo immediately following a rhinoplasty.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facial procedures and chin implants each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Chin Augmentation after Rhinoplasty

+1

It would be impossible to say whether your face would benefit from a chin implant based on just this one photo after a recent rhinoplasty. Let the nose heal for three months and then have computer imaging done to see if it would be complementary to the nose changes.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin Implant with Rhinoplasty

+1

Combining a chin implant with rhinoplasty in the right patients can lead to a beautiful  profile improvement. Sometimes the improvement can be 50% more than a rhinoplasty alone. Computer imaging with an experienced surgeon is the best way to determine if this is for you.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Augmentation After Rhinoplasty

+1

An exam is needed to determine if you need a chin implant. More photos would be needed to make a recommendation.  Many times chin implant surgery is done in conjunction with Rhinoplasty, or other facial surgery.   Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Chin augmentation should be considered as part of an entire facial evaluation

+1

Thank you for the question.  There are certain guidelines when it comes to deciding whether a chin augmentation is needed.  However, it is better to consider it as part of ana overall facial evaluation.   To do so front, side, and oblique views are helpful as well as discussing what your goals and aesthetic desires are.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD