22 yr-old male, bite corrected with braces when younger. Would I benefit from a chin implant and what material is best? (photo)

I am a 22 year old male, who have been thinking for some time about a chin implant. I have a correct bite according to my dentist but have had an overbite when younger which was fixed with braces. I think it would improve my profile alot but would like some opinions on if it's a good idea and what material with least complications etc, Thanks!

Improving chin position with implant or sliding genioplasty

+1

You could consider either a chin implant or sliding genioplasty to improve your profile.

You look like you'd benefit from quite a bit of forward projection which can be achieved with either approach.

You can learn more about both types of chin surgery at my web reference link below.

Chin implant for weak chin profile

+1

Chin implants  come in a variety of sizes and shapes, are composed of Silastic, and are placed through a submental incision as an outpatient  surgical procedure. They can be performed under either local or general anesthesia depending upon the patient's comfort.   Virtual plastic surgery software is available on our website for you to try and see what your new chin would look like with an implant.

Implant vs. Genioplasty for Chin Augmentation

+1

You would certainly benefit by chin augmentation. While it could be done by either an implant or a genioplasty, I would strongly consider the bone moving choice given your young age and the relatively large amount of chin augmentation that you need. (10mms or more)

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin implant to improve facial profile

+1

In cases where the chin sits further back than the rest of the face, increasing the chin projection can definitely improve the facial profile.  This can be done by placing an implant (typically done through an external skin incision under the chin) or by performing a genioplasty (moving a small piece of the chin bone forward through an incision in the mouth).  There are pros and cons to each approach, but each is an effective technique.

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Would I Benefit from a Chin Implant?

+1

A chin implant could be placed to improve your profile.  Silicone implants are more commonly placed and are as safe as any option.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Am I a Good Candidate for a Chin Implant?

+1

You are a very good candidate for chin augmentation. Over the past 35 years I have used silicone chin implants which I place through a small incision under your chin. They are permanent, typically lasting a lifetime. On occasion I will inject fat or fillers but they are not permanent.

Possible chin implant

+1

From your pictures, you do appear to be an excellent candidate for a chin implant.  There are a variety of styles and sizes of implants and different materials that are used to make the implants.  At the time of your consultation, you and your surgeon should be able to determine what style and size of implant would work best for your face.  In regards to the material, each surgeon may have his or her preference, but I personally prefer to use the solid, silicone implants.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon