Would I Benefit from an Alar Base Reduction 4 Years Post Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I do see other issues with my nose but my main concern is and always was the width of my nose. It seemed like all the doctors I contacted kept telling me not to do an alar base reduction with my first rhinoplasty. Now that I am 4 years post op no swelling I still hate my nostrils. I may even dislike them more now because they have widened and they extend further when I smile. I have been thinking about this for the past 3 years and would really appreciate advice!!

Alar base reduction

+2

i am not sure why some doctors and patients are afraid of alar base reductions

they are a powerful tool and when needed it makes sense to do them at the time of primary rhinoplasty

when done well the scar are very diffuclut to see

with that said if a patient like you were to dome into my office for a disucssion of secondary rhinoplaty our conversation would extend past alar base reduction - we would likely talk about complete revision to decrease the width in the superior part of the tip/distal 1/3 of nose, alar rim grafts to deal with alar convexity (worse on the right side), drooping tip, orientation of lower cartialges, and many other things

Alar base reduction

+2

You  may very well be a candidate for alar base reduction, an in office exam would help better delineate this for you.

Alar Base Reduction 4 Years Post Rhinoplasty

+2

Alar base reduction will improve the proportions and appearance of your nose. With all do respect to your surgeons, I would have done the nasal base surgery during the original operation to avoid the need for a second procedure. I know excellent surgeons who would disagree with me on this last point.

Alar base reduction

+1

You may well benefit from alar base reduction. however you do appear to have some tip pinching and width problems.  When you reduce the alar base these areas will appear more prominent and may bother you quite a bit. Beware of falling into the trap of "only fixing one thing" as all parts of the nose need to be balanced and you need to "see" in your mind what will happen to the others when you change that one thing. See a surgeon experienced in revisions and have him analyze your entire tip and make recommendations. Good luck!

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar base reduction candidate?

+1

You do appear to be a candidate for alar base reduction to reduce the width of your nose. My link below outlines some common methods of achieving this.

Alar base reduction can be done in isolation if you don't want to address other areas of your nose.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/blog/post/how-to-use-rhinoplasty-to-narrow-wide-nostrils

Reducing nasal base

+1

From your pictures, it seems that your nasal base is wide and you can benefit from nasal base reduction by Alar Repostioning Technique ( ART ). However, the tip needs to be refined further to keep the nasal proportions intact. The lower third of your nose is rather wide and the tip slightly deprojected ( droopy ), these need to be addressed. 

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgery4you.com

Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon