Is It Beneficial to Fraxel or C02 Your Face a Year Prior to Getting a Facelift?

Lasers prior to facelifts.

+2

Yes, there is no contraindication to getting laser treatments a year prior or sooner to a facelift.  Facelifts will only remove loose skin and tighten muscles.   The actual texture is only improved by laser resurfacing. 

Dr. Grant Stevens        Marina Plastic Surgery Associates          Marina del Rey, CA         The Institute

Fractional Resurfacing Prior to Facelift

+2

I usually suggest a laser peel to patients considering undergoing a facelift procedure.  This will tighten the skin, enhance the overall appearance and remove brown spots and uneven pigmentation.  The laser can be done either before or after the facelifting procedure.  Some patients prefer laser treatment after the surgery so that any residual scars from the procedure can also be treated simultaneously.  Good luck.

Jason R. Lupton, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Fraxel Laser Before Facelift?

+1

Thank you for your question. It depends on your main concern. Fraxel or CO2 helps with collagen stimulation, hyperpigmentation and tightening of the skin especially around the mouth and eyes. Facelift is to help with the sagging skin. Oftentimes both are combined for the best result. I would recommend consulting under the supervision of a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for safest and best treatment option. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Fraxel CO2 may help healing from a facelift if the laser is done many months previously

+1

There is no doubt that Fraxel Repair laser resurfacing can help the collagen improve its density, and the quality of the collagen may improve. This, theoretically, might help the healing of a facelift. There might even be better circulation after laser so that there is a richer oxygen supply to the healing dermis and epidermis after fraxel Repair laser. However, there is a rare risk of poor healing after carbon dioxide laser, and a very rare risk of scarring. Should a rhytidectomy (facelift) be done soon after carbon dioxide laser, this risk might increase and the scarring might incorrectly be attributed to the facelift.  One should be careful if laser resurfacing with carbon dioxide laser is done after a face and neck lift. Neck skin doesn't heal as well as the facial skin and if the neck skin is brought above the jawbone and this treated by laser as if it were normal facial skin, the carbon dioxide laser might have a greater chance of scarring this tissue.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Fraxel Laser and CO2 laser

+1

Using the CO2 or Fraxel laser before your facelift is an excellent idea.  I have actually had patients resurface their skin and decide to cancel their surgery beacause they look so much better from the resurfacing.  Take care, Dr. Groff

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist