I Got Bells Palsy over 5 Years Ago, While Pregnant with my Son. My Face is Still Paralyzed on That. Options?

Side of my face. I still get pain and numbness on that side of my face at times. also very bad headaches. Is there anything I can do to get my face back to "normal".....

Bell's palsy treatment with fillers and botox

+1

There may not be many advances to improve symptomatology of painful Bell's palsy after effects, but the facial asymmetry can be improved with botolinum toxin such as Botox, Xeomin, Dysport, often done on the other side,  and the use of fillers.

Many Options For Bell's Palsy

+1

There are actually many options for Bell's palsy, including but not limited to; neuromuscular retraining, Botox, fillers, and facial reanimation surgery. I am a Bell's palsy expert at the Facial Paralysis Institute in Beverly Hills, and would love to go over your options with you. Check out our website and give us a call at 310.657.2203.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Treating Bell's palsy

+1

Bell's palsy is a frustrating condition. Thankfully the cosmetic appearance can be balanced quite nicely by treating with Botox the unaffected side.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for Bell's Palsy

+1

Bell's Palsy can be frustrating and incapacitating for prolonged periods of time for many reasons.  It is often helpful to "balance" the unaffected side of the face with low doses of neuromodulators (Botox, Dysport, etc).  Not only does this lessen the physical differences between the sides, but it can also cause muscles and nerves on the affected side to react differently to the new symmetry which may be helpful for some of your symptoms.

I would be hesistant to inject the affected side from the get go, but would work on the balancing first and then reassess from there at 4-6 weeks post injection.  

Samantha B. Conrad, MD, FAAD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment options for facial paralysis

+1

There are some options for rehabilitation of the paralyzed face.  There are two main options: static treatments (which don't move) and dynamic options (which attempt to give motion back to your face).  Depending on your situation, one or both may be an option.  Find a local facial plastic surgeon with some experience in that area.

The pain and numbness may or may not be related, but there are some medical treatments which may be available.  If your facial plastic surgeon doesn't have suggestions a neurologist may be helpful.

Michael Bowman, MD
Montgomery Facial Plastic Surgeon