Can Belly Button Be Repaired During Mini Tummy Tuck?

I believe I'm a good candidate for mini abdominoplasty. I've only had one child (I only gained 30 pounds of fat, which I've mostly lost) and don't have stretchmarks on my tummy (just a few on my hips and they are very small).

I have a pooch and some fat that protrudes from the bellybotton and below. My belly button is slightly wrinkled. It's not very noticeable until I sit down but it bothers me. It doesn't look youthful or sexy. Could it be repaired during a Mini Tummy Tuck? I feel my case doesn't require a full abdominoplasty. Thanks so much!!

Belly button and mini tummy tuck, a different option

+3

Another option is to undergo a mini tummy tuck in which the surgeon can "float" your belly button.  This means detaching it to be able to dissect all the way up (which allows the surgeon to fully plicate your muscle separation) and also to redrape the abdominal skin fully (think of pulling a sheet up in the air and letting it smoothly redrape over the bed vs. just pulling from the middle down.  This enables your surgeon to smooth out the skin above the belly button as well as below it.  The belly button can be tacked back down during the surgery.  I have found this to be a useful method that is somewhere in between a full and mini tt.  Liposuction in conjunction really helps contour as well.  Good luck!

Reno Plastic Surgeon

Mini vs full tummy tuck - what you "actually need" vs what you "want to need"

+2

It is a common feeling among patients that they "don't need" a procedure that sounds too big for them. This is common in facelifting, breast lifting and tummy tucks. So many times however, your intuition is wrong and you make the mistake of trying to find a doctor who will do what "surgery you want" rather than telling you what you need to get the "result you want."

Mini tummy tucks are truly rare and create a unique deformity that can only be fixed by a full tummy tuck and sometimes cannot be repaired.

I am sure that if you looked at all the "mini" TT's done, greater than 75% of them are done by non-plastic surgeons who don't know how to do a real tummy tuck. The difference between a mini and a full in terms of scar, pain and recovery are really very small so it is best to get what you need rather than pushing for what you want.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Creating an Attractive Belly Button with a Tummy Tuck

+2

I am not sure that a MINI-Tummy Tuck would get you the cosmetic result you want and deserve. A Mini-Tummy Tuck is an over-used operation which is best used in women with minimal skin excess / looseness and either no muscle separation or mild separation limited to under the belly button. Attempting to use a Mini-Tummy Tuck in women whose muscle separation extends higher results in a flat lower tummy and a bulging upper tummy with an abnormal belly button location.

In your case you state you have a "pooch and some fat that protrudes from the bellybutton and below". So we know the muscle separation or diastasis, extends as far as your belly button. I would bet that on examination, it will be found to extend higher.

A well performed Full Tummy Tuck would remove all tummy skin excess, narrow the waist, lift a sagging Mons pubis, give your a young appearing, sunken "innie" belly button (instead of one that "doesn't look youthful or sexy") and could lift your thighs resulting in smoothing of upper thigh cellulite.

Based on my extensive experience with this procedure, I think you would do better with a Full Tummy Tuck.

To read a comprehensive summary of Tummy Tuck / Abdominoplasty, please follow the link below -

Dr. P. Aldea

Full Abdominoplasty & Peri Umbilical Incision

+1

The vast majority of patients who have redundant abdominal wall tissue require a full abdominoplasty.  Although most patients would prefer a lesser procedure, in reality very few qualify for a mini abdominoplasty.

Your pictures suggest redundant skin of the upper and lower abdomen with associated weakness of the abdominal wall muscles.  There also appears to be diffuse fatty thickening of the abdominal wall as well.  Adequate correction of these problems will require a full abdominoplasty.

In addition, one of the major advantages of a mini abdominoplasty is the absence of a peri umbilical incision.  Repair of the belly button would require this type of incision and decrease the down side of this larger procedure.

It’s important that you see a board certified plastic surgeon. A careful evaluation should lead to the correct solution to your problem. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck Usually Not Intended to Improve Belly Button Appearance

+1
The ideal candidate for a mini tummy tuck is a person who has localized excess skin between the bellybutton and the pubic bone.In the course of a mini tummy tuck, the skin and fat layer is released from the underlying muscle layer up to the bellybutton.The excess skin and fat are then removed after the skin has been pulled snugly downward.A mini tummy tuck is normally not intended to improve the appearance of the bellybutton.If there is loose skin surrounding the bellybutton or a need to improve its appearance then it is very likely that a full tummy tuck would be a better choice.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Limited abdominoplasty

+1

It is difficult to accomplish all that one wants to achieve with a mini abdominoplasty.  It is hard to tighten the muscles above the umbilicus unless the skin is undermined and elevated.  This can be elevated with floating the umbilicus and this would let the skin and umbilicus  to move downward after the upper muscles were tightened surgically.  this would allow a limited  adjustment to the previously loose upper abdominal skin.  There is also a very limited potential to perform a small amount of SAL to surrounding areas of the abdomen as well as to perform a limited umbilicoplasty to the belly button without elevating the abdominal skin.

Full abdominoplasty procedures will always give a greater possibility to tighten the muscles and adjust the skin properly, however.  Discuss this with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to assess which would be the best procedure for you.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Fix umbilicus at mini tummy tuck

+1

It is difficult to say what could be done for your umbilicus without an exam because the photo does not show much.

Mini vs full tummy tuck procedure

+1

Based on the information you provided and your photo, you seem like an ideal candidate for a full (standard) tummy tuck procedure rather than a mini tummy tuck. I suggest consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the best and safest possible options for you. A mini tummy tuck only involves work below the belly button which may cause the upper abdomen area to be more prominent. The area above the belly button ends up becoming the problem area once th lower abdomen is improved. A full (standard) tummy tuck involves, repair of the rectus muscles, stretched from pregnancy, as well as removal of the loose, excess skin of the tummy. Liposuction may improve body contours and may be necessary. The belly button is relocated on the tightened abdominal area, providing a natural look also. Recovery could vary between patient to patient. At 2 weeks, drains are removed and the patient is required to stay in the hunched postion for 1 full month to avoid any complications with healing. There is quite a bit of tension on the incision site and staying hunched will prevent any superficial openings. An abdominal binder is worn for 1 month also to aid in the healing process to minimize swelling and provide support. Initially, expect sweling and bruising. Swelling will subside within 4-6 months and final results should be seen within 6 months to a year depending on the severity and complexity of the case. Good luck!

Mini vs Full Tummy Tuck

+1

From what you are discribing, it sounds like there is some skin laxity above the belly button. By the description, I would say you do need a full tummy tuck.

You really need to see a board certified plastic surgeon to go over in detail what needs to be done for you to achieve your desired results. A mini tuck is not performed often because it is the procedure of choice for very few people. I always say why perform the lesser operation if is going to give you a lesser result or not give you the result that you are expecting.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

What to do when a mini tummy tuck is not enough but the full tummy tuck is too much

+1

The mini cannot provide any significant improvements to the belly button. In your case you may have to proceed with a procedure that is more than a mini but less than the traditional "full" tummy tuck. This may leave you with a small vertical scar in addition to the horizontal scar. However, this will be the only way to address the loose umbilical skin,