Can Your Belly Swell Even 4 1/2 Weeks After Lipo?

I had surgery 4 1/2 weeks ago and I have not been able to go back based on distance. I had upper/lower stomach, flanks and back done. My belly seems to have gotten bigger/harder since I saw the initial results. Is this common? Could it be because my garment is too tight?

Liposuction swelling

+2

Swelling after liposuction is common, and some hardness may develop as a part of the healing process. Usually this softens with time. Sometimes massage helps.  Overtime things usually soften.  It is definitely a good idea to seek follow-up with your doctor.

Swelling after lipo

+2

First, distance not withstanding, your responsibility is to follow up, and comply with your post op instructions.  Following these instructions ensures that you have the best chance of a safe and favorable outcome.  See your doctor.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Swelling, stiffness, and discomfort after liposuction

+1

Hello DC,

Thank you for the question.  The most important thing is to make sure that you are healing well.  Without a photo or an examination this is not possible to do.  The symptoms that you have described are not all together uncommon after liposuction.  It will be important for you to make sure you have not gained weight during the recovery period as well.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Duration of Swelling AFTER Liposuction of stomach, flanks and back

+1

Liposuction, like all operations, is an organized injury done in a sterile environment. The body always responds with a varying degree of swelling which is maximal the first few days after surgery and then gradually decreases with time.

Compression garments are used after liposuction to help diminish this swelling response but vary in their efficacy since they do not fit all people the same way and do not exert the same amounts of pressure.

By a month after surgery you should NOT have more swelling than you did just after the surgery. At this point you should be well down on the down slope of the post surgical swelling curve. You REALLY should see your surgeon and make sure everything is going well.

Abdominal swelling a month after surgery.

+1

If the swelling and hardness is diffuse, then it is normal for many patients. It is not caused by the garment. If you have pain, localized swelling, etc. see your surgeon.

Belly swell even 4 1/2 weeks after lipo

+1

It is possible to have late occurring swelling. Go see a local PS to re evaluate. Or call the treating surgeon to discuss and send him photos.

From MIAMI DR. B

Persistent swelling after liposuction

+1

There are many potential causes for this which cannot be diagnosed via email. While this could be due to your garments, it could also be due to a seroma and/or pseudocyst. You should seek evaluation by a surgeon and possibly consider an imaging study.

Swelling after liposuction

+1
Swelling can occur for more than four weeks after liposuction but if there is any pain or change in your bowl habits or fever you must be seen. This is always the concern when someone travels a distance for surgery but is not willing to travel for follow-up. You need to ask these same questions of your surgeon! Please call them.

Ronald Shelton, MD