Possible to Use Belly Fat to Restore Volume to Breasts?

Once my PCOS/Insulin Resistance is regulated, I want to have Smart Lipo or traditional lipo done for the bit of fat I can't lose in my stomach/back. Is it safe to transfer that fat to my breasts (which have lost a full cup size) & what types of incisions should I expect?

Fat transfer to breasts

+1

It is best to have elective surgery once your diabetes is well controlled.  At that time, you can have liposuction of the abdominal fat and other areas as needed.   Fat obtained through Smartlipo is not viable and thus not suitable for transfer.  In my ptractice, I can generally obtain about 1 cup size increase in your breast volume through fat transfer at each session.  Thus you may need more than one session to reach your desired goal.

Fat transfer to the breast

+1

first you need to control your diabetes and consult your endocrinologist and plastic surgeon for the advisability of elective surgery and it's effect on your diabetes.

As for fat transfer to the breast, it is still an experimental procedure the safety of which need more answers. There are many factors to be considered and questions answered before doing the fat transfer to the breast.

1: can we really differentiate between micrcalcification of breast cancer and micrcalcification due to fat necrosis.

2: what are the real effect of transfering stem cells, present in the fat on the breast and breast cancer.

After all these questions are answered then the medical community will decide on the safety and efficacy of transfering fat to the breast.

Fat? Really?

+1

The problem with fat is that it is a very delicate biologically viable material made up of living cells that if not placed correctly and in time, won't survive. Fat also is known to calcify, which if injected in the breasts area, might show up on a mammogram and raise unnecessary concerns.

A number of options exist, and though fat is one of them, it is not high on the list. A more temporary filler, hyaluronic acid, Macrolane, may be used in that area. This filler lasts about a year and a half. This can be a harbinger of a more permanent look by using a breast implant later on in the future.

Fat is better off than on...

Hassan Galadari, MD
Dubai Dermatologist

Fat Transfer to the Breasts

+1

Fat transfer to the breasts is in its infancy and with the exception of several European and Australian Plastic surgeons and a lone Plastic surgeon in the Miami area, the vast majority of American Plastic surgeons do not have a great deal of experience with this technique.

The challenge is NOT the removal of the the excess tummy fat but hot to prepare the breast for it, to remove the fat in a gentle way, process it to remove excess blood,fluids and dead cells and then inject it into the breast through several tiny incisions along the rim of the areola in thin rolls to maximize the chances that this fat would survive and persist.

The use of fat destructive techniques such as Laser Lipo which literally cooks the fat would get you cooked / dead fat NOT the live fat cells needed for a successful transfer.

Fat injections to the breasts from smart lipo

+1

If you find a plastic surgeon who will inject fat into your breasts, they will probably aspirate (remove) the fat via conventional liposuction or syringe technique first and then proceed with smart lipo otherwise the fat removed via smart lipo would not necessarily be the best donor tissue for a fat graft in a new area as the laser heat can damage the cells.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Fat transfer to the breast is not effective with Smart Lipo

+1

Smart Lipo and other liposuction modalities that use heat or ultrasound to disrupt fat are very destructive to the fat. If injected into your breasts, its unlikely this graft would survive. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon that does fat grafting to the breast for a consultation.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS