Belly Button Surgery to Remove Saggy Skin/old Scar? (photo)

Hi I had a surgery on my belly button 13 days ago. I had a belly button piercing + 3 kids...so the skin where the piercing was slightly stayed stretched out and it left me with a small lump above my belly button. I had the procedure done only to remove that skin as well as the lump. After the procedure the skin was extremely pleated above the stitches. I'm also concern with the appearance of the scar... I was expecting a thin straight line.My surgeon says that it will better. What do you think?

Concerns after Skin Excision around Umbilicus?

+1

Your plastic surgeon is correct in that the appearance of the scar will improve significantly over the course of the first year. Patients undergoing these types of limited skin excisions should have modest ( realistic) expectations  in regards to how much skin can be excised and how much improvement can be achieved.

Belly Button Surgery to Remove Saggy Skin/old Scar?

+1

I am not exactly sure what was done based upon the photo. The scar will get less red, the swelling will decrease, and the pleats will remodel. Only time will tell how this will look, but allow at least 3 to 6 months to see the final outcome, and follow up as directed with your surgeon. All the best. 

+1

At 13 days after the procedure there is no way to predict what the final outcome will be.  You need to allow quite some time, probably a year, before deciding on the final outcome and deciding whether any further revision needs to be carried out  This is something that any Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with experience will tell you.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

This scar will get better but surplus skin in the area will persist.

+1

The surgeon can't really remove a lot of surplus skin by an incision limited to the umbilicus. I think the overall contour and appearance of global get much better with time.

Belly Button Surgery To Remove Saggy Skin

+1

13 days is too early to be concerned about the appearance of your belly button/ scar. It should fade with time and be less noticeable. Make sure and put sunscreen on it if you will be in the sun. The sun tends to darken scars, especially ones that have not fully healed. Although it will continue to look better at 3, 6, and 8 months, you should plan on final results at 1 year. Best of luck! 

Moriah Moffitt, MD

Will my belly button scar improve?

+1

Give it time and be patient!  It really is too early to tell. It will be 3, 6, some times even 12 months before it will fully mature and looks as good as it can.  Thirteen days is certainly not enough, though. 

Brian Dorner, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon