Belly Button Scar Revision and Hernia Fix After TT? (photo)

I had a FTT with hernia and muscle repair 15 months ago and am pleased with the results overall, but think I have a small hernia again as my belly button is no longer flat, I can feel my insides pop out when I cough, and it's sore. Also, my scar has widened making my belly button look too large. Can the new hernia be fixed, the old scar removed, and a new, small flat or innie be created? I hate seeing my belly button stick out through my clothes, I would love a small, flat belly button!

Belly Button Scar Revision and Hernia Fix After TT?

+1

The hernia recurrence should be repairable through the previous incision.Since it is a recurrence, mesh might be used, and seeing a surgeon experienced in its use might be wise. 

The navel scar can be improved, but if the navel 's blood supply is disrupted by the hernia repair, it may be wiser to adjust the scar at a different time. 

All the best. 

Recurrent hernia?

+1

Your description supports your notion that your hernia is recurring.  You should see your surgeon or have them refer you to someone who can evaluate your concerns and provide a solution to your problem.  Insurance should cover such a procedure.

Curtis Wong, MD

Belly button scar revision

+1

Hands on exam is absolutely necessary. Scar and hernia recurrence have to be assessed. The recurrent hernia is the priority. I would not be comfortable doing the repair through the belly button incision. Mesh might be necessary,via open  or endoscopic repair. The desire is to be simplistic, but always thorough and safe. Whereas the scar line can be revised and will be thin, no surgeon can promise or guarantee that a revised scar will stay thin. I reiterate, go to your surgeon to discuss your options All that you ask can be done. Because there is more than 1 option I can't emphasize enough the need to speak with your Dr

James R. Benjamin, MD
Bowie Plastic Surgeon

+1

Yes/maybe to all three requests. best to seek ONLY in person examinations to determine exactly what can be achieved. 

+1

The hernia, if present does not present a great challenge to repair.  However, making the belly button an innie and decreasing the size at the same time is not so easy and requires some ingenuity.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and tummy tuck revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Recurrent laxity after an abdominoplasty

+1

It appears you have some degree of recurrent central laxity of the anterior abdominal wall fascia.  This may account for the flattening out of the umbilicus.  I am not sure that your problem can be totally corrected via the umbilical scar.  If most of the laxity is in this region then yes.

Belly Button Scar Revision and Hernia Fix After Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. If you have a recurrent umbilical hernia, it can be “fixed” through the existing umbilical incision. During the same procedure, it is likely that the umbilicus can be made smaller and more aesthetically pleasing as well.

Yes, belly button hernia and "innie" can be accomplished

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos.  I am glad to hear that you are pleased with your tummy tuck results.  Your belly button hernia can be repaired via the belly button incision you currently have.  Doing so the tissues can be sutured to give you an "innie" belly button appearance.  The size of the scar around your belly button may be a challenge to reduce in diameter but some mild improvement can also be made there as well.  All of the above can be performed either under local anesthesia or IV/general anesthesia.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD