Belly Button Scars After Tummy Tuck

I've been researching tummy tucks and looking at before and after photos online. I have seen some really natural looking belly buttons after TT surgery and then I've seen some REALLY strange, ugly ones! Of course if I have the surgery done, I want a well-placed, low TT scar, but I am terrified to come out of surgery with a circle-shaped scar the size of a quarter around my navel! I don't see why surgeons choose to make the opening around the navel so large. Is there a reason for that?

You can request a specific shape

+2

Most plastic surgeons will accept your request to create the belly button shape that you would like.  Sometimes, however, we are limited by what the patient has as their anatomy.  Take a look back at the before and after photos you mentioned.  I would bet that even with a round quarter sized scar the after belly buttons still look better than their before counterparts.  Good luck!

Web reference: http://francisnyplasticsurgery.com/abdominoplasty.asp

Umbilical (belly button) scars with tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)

+1

To some degree the tummy tuck belly button scar cannot always be predicted. A circular, horizontal or vertical incision can be made but the wound may heal with varying resutls according to tension and the individual's unique wound healing tendencies.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/tummy-tuck/

Belly button shape after tummy tuck surgery

+1

You have asked a great question!

Honestly, I don't know why some belly button shapes are unusual as the technique exists to make the belly button look as natural as possible.

That is why it is important to look at before and after photos to make sure you like the work of a surgeon.  A  plastic surgeon may be technically proficient but lack the artistic ability to view things in an aesthetic fashion.  For the most part, this is God given.

Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Belly button scars after tummy tuck

+1

Most Plastic Surgeons attempt to create as small a scar around the belly button as possible. I, and many of my colligues, use a moon shaped incision so the scar is not round and has a small superior hood hiding part of the scar. Sometimes, the resultant scar is not totally due to what is done at surgery but how you heal. Talk to your surgeon about your desires and ask for pictures of his/her usual results.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon