Belly Button Scab 5.5 Weeks Post TT Normal?

I am 5 1/2 weeks post tummy tuck and I still have a scab on my belly button. There is no sign of infection and no oozing. Is it normal to still have scabbing there at this point?

BB still scabbed over, normal?

+1

Tough to tell without a picture, it is not unusual to have some delayed healing in that area after a tummy tuck. Continue to follow your surgeons orders and give it some more time, it will heal

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Delayed Bellybutton Healing After A Tummy Tuck

+1

The belly button can often be the slowest skin part to heal from a tummy tuck. It would not be unusual to have some scabbing of the belly button up to several months after surgery. With another month of healing, it is likely this will be a self-solving problem. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Delayed healing around the belly button is common

+1

Although most patients' belly button incisions will be healed 5 weeks after tummy tuck, this is an area that will commonly have slower healing. However, specific considerations include an extruding suture or suture abcess (a dissolvable suture may be pushing out through the incision), wound dehiscence (the skin edges may have pulled apart), or similar issues.

Return to your surgeon if this persists. Good luck.

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Belly button scab 5 weeks after tummy tuck

+1

Its hard to know without a photo but below are some possible sources for what you are experiencing.  A dry scab on the belly button at 5 weeks can be:

-dry epidermolysis which is separation of the superficial dead skin cells from the live skin underneath.  this can be caused by stress to the belly button skin from the tummy tuck procedure

-loss of blood supply to the belly button.  the skin essentially is a full thickness skin loss and your body is in the process of healing from the inside out.

-other, including scabbing associated with suture extrusion.

The good news is that a dry scab is a much better situation than a wet scab.  Have your plastic surgeon take a look to evaluate.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Scabbing in abdominoplasty incision

+1
Scabbing can occur and is usually the result of a suture reaction. From your post, it does not sound like an infection but you should see your plastic surgeon, who can assess it and determine whether the suture should be removed or wlll dissolve on its own.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Belly Button Scab

+1

It is not uncommon to have a scab over the navel or the tummy tuck incision. Often, there is an undissolved suture underneath the scab, and the area may not heal until that suture dissolves (6 to 12 weeks) or until it is removed. I would ask your surgeon to take a look.