I Want to Get a Belly Button Revision Will It Help? What Are My Options?

I waited 12 years to get a tummy tuck I went to a well qualified surgeon & had a breast augmentation and tummy tuck. I'm happy with my breast & the tummy tuck scar & the flattness of my belly but my belly button looks terrible. It's off centered the shape is wierd and the color is bad. I had a lot of excess skin due to multiple pregnancies but I've always had a flat stomache. Would a belly button revision help me? If so what kind of procedure should I look into? any advise would be appreciated!

Better looking belly button.

+2

What type of belly button revision would be best for you and how much improvement you will notice depends on issues bother you the most about your belly button.  A belly button revision can be as simple as excising some skin under local anesthesia and as involved as redoing the entire tummy tuck to remove more skin and perform better muscle tightening.  Fortunately most belly button revisions can be done under local anesthesia and involve just using the existing belly button incision.  The ideal belly button should be a vertical ellipse, smaller is better than larger, it should be concave/depressed compared to the surrounding area, the scar should be hidden inside the belly button, and the belly button should be centered.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Remus Repta,

Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ

Belly button too big

+1

Your umbilicus (belly button) is too big and needs a revision. I also don't like the shape. Fortunately this can be repaired under local anesthesia.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Options for belly button revision

+1

The belly button can be improved on. The color cannot be improved as it is your own color, not scar tissue as far as I can see on the picture. I would wait a full year before any revisions. The central portion could be tacked to the fascia which would make the BB look like an "inny". See a board certified plastic surgeon.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Belly Button Revision?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

The appearance of the umbilicus after tummy tuck surgery is of critical importance to many patients. Essentially, it is the only scar visible when patients are wearing undergarments or swimming suits. It can be a telltale sign of a patient who has had abdominal plastic surgery.  As much as possible, it is best to keep the belly button relatively small, oval shaped, and attempt to hide the resulting scars.

In your case, it is difficult to give you good advice without direct examination. whether the appearance of your umbilicus can be improved will depend on physical examination approximately one year after your initial tummy tuck surgery.

Belly button revision

+1

A belly button revision can be performed to improve the appearance following a tummy tuck, however allowing the area to completely heal first is important. This can take 6-12 months in some cases. It is common for the hyperpigmentation to change during this time making the belly button scars less noticeable and often preventing a revision in the first place. If the hyperpigmentation remains, lasers or IPL can improve the discoloration. To improve a widened belly button, a scar revision is performed which can narrow and deepen the belly button by tacking the repair to the abdominal wall. Discuss your concerns with your Plastic Surgeon to see what he/she recommends for you.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Belly Button Revision After Tummy Tuck

+1

Scar or other surgical revisions should be performed after all swelling has subsided and all healing has occurred. It appears that the diameter of the belly button is a bit large, that it is positioned slightly off-center and that you have some hyperpigmentation of the (widened?) peri-umbilical scar. In addition, the protrusion centrally appears to be consistent with what is typically seen in the presence of an umbilical hernia. I don’t know if this was present prior to your tummy tuck; or perhaps it has worsened following the muscle plication.

To move the belly button to the left will require making an even larger opening, and given the size that is already present, I think some sort of purse string technique will be needed to narrow the skin opening and ultimate diameter of the belly button. Hopefully this will also prevent any additional scar widening.

If that central bulge is the result if an umbilical hernia, that will need to be repaired, but must be done carefully since the only reliable blood supply to the belly button now comes through the stalk.

Post-op sun protection and prophylactic use of a skin bleacher will be helpful to reduce the risk of hyperpigmentation post-op.

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon so you understand how s/he plans to address these issues. Best wishes.

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Revise my belly button?

+1
Revisional procedures after a cosmetic surgery are sometimes necessary. However, it is important to make sure you have allowed adequate time for healing to take place. At a MINIMUM, this would require approximately 3 months, but realistically it may take 6 months to 1 year. During this time, it is important to are for your incisions as per your surgeon's recommendations. I typically advocate sun avoidance and scar massage. If after these initial steps and time your result still isn't as you expected, a discussion with you original surgeon is often the best first step. They may not even realize you aren't completely happy. Often they can offer you a revision for a fraction of the cost a different surgeon would quote you. Your original surgeon wants you to be happy and say nice things about their work and bedside manner. A different surgeon wants you to be happy too, but wasn't the cause of your unhappiness, so has no incentive to give you a reduced price.

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon