Belly Button Repair After Hernia and Tummy Tuck

It's been a year since I had my tummy tuck and belly button hernia repaired. Although, I'm pretty happy with the overal surgery; I'm really concerned about the belly button. The hernia totally destroyed it and its competely flat! I went back to get it repaired and after some scar revision and stiches its now flat again. I'm desperate; do I have any hope? If so; how much would it cost (average) to get it fix? Please adivce; I need help, summer is almost here ;-)

Http://www.drbogue.comUmbilicoplasty.

+2

A true umbilicoplasty is necessary to recreate a belly button when the original belly button is now flat and unattached. If there is mesh inside the abdomen, it can complicate the repair but is often still achievable. Prices vary between practices. Contact a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area for a consultation.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Umbilicoplasty or belly button repair after tummy tuck

+2
You may benefit from a formal umbilicoplasty. The single biggest factor that would limit the success of your result would be if mesh had been placed and the belly button disconnected.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Belly Button Shape with Lipo

+2

I am glad to hear that you had a successful umbilical hernia repair, but unfortunately did not have a desired result for your belly button.  There are some improvements that can be made cosmetically on an out patient basis, but the degree of improvement will depend on many factors and in all likelihood will never look perfect - only improved.  Cost will vary from city to city and surgeon to surgeon, so I suggest setting up a few consultations and find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable working with.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Reconstructing a belly button after tummy tuck

+2

Repair of an umbilical hernia, and tummy tuck can stress the circulation to the belly button and result in a loss of the belly button. We have also encountered hernias repaired by general surgeons where the belly button was removed altogether. There a half a dozen or so procedures to reconstruct or create a new belly button, and I am certain one of them can solve your situation. You may need an additional opinion for a fresh idea.

peterejohnsonmd

Fixing the belly button - not always easy or possible

+2

Fixing your belly button is much easier said than done because you look like you have a very flat abdomen without much depth of fat next to the umbilicus and the skin looks tight.  With that starting point, you can't create a nicely contoured belly button.  Revision might even make your situation worse.  Forget about this summer and go to a few excellent plastic surgeons for advice and options.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

+2
Frequently the hernia in the area of the belly button leaves a very short or non existent umbilical stalk. Correcting this can be very difficult especially if you are very thin.

David L. Abramson, MD

Belly button reconstruction after hernia repair

+2

Without a personal examination no one can give you specific advice but from what I see in the picture it appears that you will need the belly button reconstructed, which can be a complicated undertaking especially with the surrounding scar. Don't rush to make a decision as you want to make sure it can be done well.

Richard Baxter, MD

Belly Button crazy after tummy tuck and hernia repair

+2

Unfortunately you sustained damage to your belly button during your procedures.  Reconstruction of this is not easy especially since you had a revision already.  If you can live with it, I would leave it alone.  If it bothers you enough one can attempt another revision but don't expect any promises it will work or look better.  Cost obviously will vary and you would need to seek consultation in order to get that information.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon