Belly Button Repair? (photo)

I had hernia surgery when I was 15 in 2004. The hernia was fixed but I was not pleased with how my belly button looked its been almost ten years and I still hate my belly button. I would like to get it fixed so it can look more like a regular innie. How much will it cost and what is the recovery time? Also what are the risks?

Umbilicoplasty

+2

These can be uncannily difficult to fix.  First, you did not appear to keloid after the first surgery but this is alway something to consider prophylaxing for.  The tethered skin in both the upper and lower pole needs to be released to correct the depression in these areas.  One may consider fat grafting under these depressed areas to further correct the depression.  Finally, the umbilical stalk may need to be sutured down to the fascia to give you an "innie" look.  This all may require a trip to the OR. 

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Bellybutton repair after umbilical hernia repair

+1

Thank you for your question and photograph. An umbilicoplasty or belly button repair can be done. It is a complex procedure and I recommended to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, is experienced in abdominoplasty, and has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Belly button repair

+1

It's hard to give you an exact answer without seeing you, but when I fix belly buttons it is usually done in the office under local anesthesia with only 1-2 days of recovery.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Belly Button Repair? (photo)

+1

This is a challenging problem to handle.  It would help if the details of your operation are known.  However, usually this is not the case and the plastic surgeon has to deal with the problem at hand.  There are things that can be done: releasing the adhesions above and below the belly button, reducing the size of the belly button with a Bunelly procedure, fat grafting around the belly button to prevent recurrence of the depressions, to name a few.  But the final outcome is not totally predictable and there is always a chance of secondary recurrences. 

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Belly button repair after umbilical hernia should be possible

+1

From the appearance of your belly button in your picture, you still have a bit of redundant skin from the stretch placed on it by your "outie" hernia.  This is something that should be pretty straightforward to repair under local anesthesia to remove enough of the excess skin and create a pleasing, natural contour of the umbilicus.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Improving your belly button

+1

Different methods may be used to achieve your result but you need to be evaluated in person and your expectations reviewed.  If you needed just a little excess skin removed from the bottom, your costs would be much less then what has been suggested.  So it really depends on what is needed to achieve the result you seek  Pick a local surgeon and be seen and review the options available to you.

Curtis Wong, MD

Belly-button surgery (umbilicoplasty)

+1

Your photo suggests that you can expect a good result from a standard umbilicoplasty.  Costs in Tampa for this are about $1500; recovery is about a week.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Belly button repair/reshape after umbilical hervia without tummy tuck

+1

From the posted photo, It appears that you have a depression above the belly button as well as a scarred " outy" belly button with extra skin on the lower part of the umbilicus. This could be improved by umbilicoplasty as outpatient under local or general anesthesia. It would cost $ 1200-2000 in Minneapolis and recovery is a week to ten days.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Belly Button Repair?

+1

This may cost $1000 to $2000 or so, depending upon exactly what is to be done and your goals.  There should be minimal pain and recovery should be short.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and umbilicoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA