Belly Button Feels Sore After Tummy Tuck

After my Tummy Tuck, my new fake belly button gets sore inside sometimes. I never had that problem with my original belly button. What is causing it?

Make sure it very clean

+1

After a tummy tuck the belly button can have a different cavity than before surgery. I recommend using peroxide on a Q-tip to really get down in there. Do this once or twice a day only when it get sore. When it's not sore daily cleaning with a Q-tip and soap and water is fine. The soreness should resolve with time as it heals in.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

It should resolbe with time

+1

It's common to have some discomfort around the belly button after a tummy tuck, but with time (several weeks) it should resolve.  Communicate to your surgeon your symptoms and concerns so that he can follow the situation and reassure you, but I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Fake belly button soreness

+1

Jeanne,

You neglected to tell us when your surgery was performed.  If it was recent, soreness is well expected.  If it was 6 or more weeks ago, then it needs to be checked by your surgeon.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Soreness is common after this procedure.

+1

It is very common to have soreness in your belly button after a tummy tuck. It depends how far out you are from your procedure to determine if this needs to be looked into by your surgeon. Soreness immediately post-op and even up to a couple months out is a normal consequence of surgery and is part of the healing process. Also, the muscle tightening on the inside often contributes to this especially when your belly button is tacked down to the muscle layer during surgery to preserve a nice aesthetic appearence. If you are further out from surgery, you may have some hardened scar tissue in your belly button. In this case, you may benefit from scar massage and/or steroid injections to help soften this area.

David Rankin, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon

+1

In all kikelihood, it is not a problem whatsoever and merely reflective of the pain secondary to the muslce tightening procedure.

However, it could be something else such as incarcerated preperitoneal fat, etc. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.