TT With MR and Hernia Repair: Fat Around Belly Button - Doctot States May Still be a Hernia (Photo)

Hello everyone, I had a full tummy tuck with MR, umbilical and ventral hernia repair surgery 6 1/2 months ago. I'm skinny so the fat around belly button is very small. Dr. says It is possible I still have a hernia there and for me to consult a general surgeon...My question is.... Is there a possibility of revision? I have read many other cases where surgeons have stated that after a full tummy tuck a belly button might not survive a revision... Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Umbilical hernia after tummy tuck can be repaired

+2
Thank you for your question.  An ultrasound should be performed to diagnosis whether you have an umbilical hernia are simply residual fat beneath the belly button.  If you do a qualified general surgeon should be able to repair the hernia.  Be sure to discuss the safety of this procedure with regard to your belly button with the general surgeon and your plastic surgeon.  After this period of time following your tummy tuck the blood supply to your umbilicus should be improved.

TT With MR and Hernia Repair: Fat Around Belly Button - Doctot States May Still be a Hernia

+2
A scan of the umbilical region could give a more definitive diagnosis as to fat vs hernia or both..//Best to obtain this. 

Possible hernia around unbilicus

+2
I am surprised this was not totally repaired at the original surgery.   It is a fairly simple matter of raising the abdominal flap up to the umbilicus and simply repairing the hernia and then closing.   I do not know where the total nonsense came that a redo killed the belly button.   The belly button can be released from its attachment to skin and of course the deep and vascular attachment is maintained.   The surgeon may choose to release the belly button and this is fine. This would be done to visualize the hernia and repair it.  The belly button will be 100% fine as LONG AS THE SURGEON understands it.   I would suggest the plastic surgeon and the general surgeon work together.   For my own practice, I do all my hernias myself.  Plastic surgepns that are board certifiec by the ABPS have endless years of general surgery and a hernia repair is about as simple as it gets.   Hope this helps.  My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Imperfect contour around belly button after tummy tuck

+2
Hi there

Without examining you, I would not be comfortable offering a firm opinion on what may be causing your appearance... But can tell you that the most likely causes are that either you do still have a small amount of fat herniating around your belly button, or that the belly button reconstruction done at the time of your tummy tuck simply healed with this contour. Either way, this is something your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon should be able to diagnose and treat for you.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

+2
Thank you for your question. Without the benefit of an exam it is hard to tell whether it is a hernia or just redundant skin. I would see the general surgeon examine you and they can decide whether it is a hernia or not. If there is a question they can always get a CT scan. If there is not a hernia you can go back to your plastic surgeon and they can revise the belly button. Good luck.

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Your plastic surgeon should be able to fix it

+2
You have small amount of fat that may be herniating and this can be fixed. You may have recurrent hernia and a board certified plastic surgeon should be able to fix it(most board certified plastic surgeons have done   general surgery training before plastic surgery) 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Hernia repair

+1
you need to see your surgeon again as it looks like you have a small umbilical hernia when he examines you he will able to tell you if you will need another surgery. Good luck!

Australia Fragoso Baez, MD

Possible hernia after tummy tuck

+1
You may have a hernia but more likely the bulge is from the way the belly button was cut free at surgery.
If your plastic surgeon fixed the hernias, s/he should be able to tell you if there is a hernia.
If not, see a general surgeon. An examination should give you the answer.
Necrosis of the belly button is rare provided enough tissue remains around it.
From the photo, necrosis seems unlikely in you.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD