Preventing Belly Button Closure After Tummy Tuck?

I had tummy tuck done 1 month ago and my belly button is getting smaller. The doctor had me use a marble to keep it open but I developed a rash around the belly button. I know I'm allergic to metals and he said the marble may have some metal.

He told me to lay off the marble and see what happens. But I don't want another procedure done to open belly button, and if I did get procedure done, he told me I would still need a marble to keep it open. Is there anything else I can do?

How about a glass marble for your belly button?

+4

You can certainly use an old fashioned cats eye marble made of glass to keep the belly button from shrinking closed.  That won't cause any allergic reactions for sure.

Little tricks for keeping your belly button open "marble trick" & treating problems following tummy tuck

+3

There may be many reasons for the rash. One is a mild yeast infection and the other is a reaction to bacitracin ointment or the metal as stated. If approved by your surgeon, I would suggest using a mild steroid cream (if not infected) or an antifungal cream. I would allow this to settle. Glass marbles can be found at a craft's store. Occasionally I prefer glass beads because a small string can be placed which makes them easier to retrieve or remove once in place. Sterilize or cleanse the bead before each and every placement.

Belly button and tummy tuck

+3

You can also try placing some gauze in the belly button to keep it open; may of us use Xeroform gauze after surgery for this purpose. Check with your local pharmacy as a prescription may be required for this depending upon your state's regulations.

If you do need a revision, this can usually be done under local anesthesia in the office. Good luck.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Belly button contracture may need to be opened.

+2

Hi.

1) You have a bad allergic reaction (rash) around your belly button. See your dermatologist.

2) You have a contracture of your belly button which happens rarely after a tummy tuck. Unfortunately, conservative measures like a marble are not going to help.

3) Leave it alone for now. You will probably need a touch up surgery in a few months to open up the belly button.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Help with Belly Button after Tummy Tuck

+2

Hi there-

It looks to me like you have a yeast infection around your belly button...

It would be impossible to tell without an examination, but I would recommend you visit your surgeon and ask if some anti-fungal therapy would be appropriate.

As far as keeping your belly button looking like a belly button, I try a glass marble.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS