Why Is My Belly Button Bulging After Tummy Tuck? (photo)

Hi! I'm 6 days PO and worried about my bulging belly button. My PS said its normal swelling. Will it get better? Is there anything I need to do to help it be normal agAin?

Belly Button Swelling

+1

This does represent swelling,  The belly button has progressive become larger over time and it will progressive become smaller over time.  Continue to be patient and your outcome with be wonderful.

Dr. ES

Belly Button Revision

+1
Thank you for your question.  While you are in fact swollen, your belly button needs further reduction and revision for an improved appearance. You should wait a minimum of 3-12 months for swelling to dissipate and for the tissues to soften prior to revision. Discuss this matter further with your surgeon.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Belly button appearance after tummy tuck

+1

At 6 days, there is definitely swelling and it is best to wait. You are thin, and it can be challenging to get a nice "inny" belly button in that situation, although there are some techiques that help.  If it appears to large after surgery, then it can be revised with significant improvement.  For now the best thing to do is wait, but I think it is possible you will benefit from a revision in the future to make it less prominent.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

Belly button issues after tummy tuck

+1

For sure there is swelling this early on.  Also, when the skin around the BB is very thin with little extra fat, the BB looks more prominent than when there is a little fat and the BB can sit deeper down. Nothing the surgeon can do about that anatomy.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Why Is My Belly Button Bulging After Tummy Tuck

+1

Since this looks ok as far as I can tell on the post op day 1 photo, I would concur with your surgeon that this is swelling and will resolve on its own. Some of the things we usually do for swelling (heat)are ill advised after TT because the numbness can allow for third degree burns to occur. 

Patience. 

All the best.