Juvederm Safe to Have with Bell's Palsy?

I have had Bell's Palsy for 14 years and I have read that Juvederm can cause Herpes Simplex 1, will this cause a reoccurance of the Bell's Palsy?

Can Filler Injections re-activate Herpes Simplex Infection or Bell's Palsy?

+2

Very interesting question without a known definitive answer.

The "classic" Bell's Palsy is temporary paralysis of the Facial nerve (VII) sometimes seen as possible reaction to a flue. It is usually on one side of the face and has no known causes. I am not aware of ANY cases of Bell's palsy associated with any filler injections.

Herpes Simplex infections are re-activations of pre-existing infection by the virus. The infection took place in the past and a temporary lowering of the immune system is thought to allow the virus to re-emerge. It is customary to pre-treat all patients, especially those with a history of fever blisters, with anti viral agents before and during facial resurfacing (chemical peels , laser) treatments. Although I have not seen such a reaction with fillers it could potentially happen. It you are absolutely certain that you want to protect yourself against this remote possibility, ask your doctor to treat you with Zovirax or another anti-viral agent.

Juvederm is safe to use with Bell’s Palsy

+1

Juvederm is safe to use with Bell’s Palsy. There is no problem with having Juvederm injected when you have Bell’s Palsy. To learn more see a specialist.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fillers should be fine in setting of Bell's Palsy

+1

Bell's Palsy is a condition where there may be facial asymmetry due to temporary but sometimes semi-permanent damage of nerve controlling movement of muscles. There can be facial muscle atrophy due to prolonged nerve damage. Hence, fillers are commonly used to minimize facial asymmetry due to Bell's Palsy. Anyone with history of cold sores undergoing procedures around the lips and nose such Juvederm or Restylane filler injection should get prophylactic antiviral therapy.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Filler injections and Bell's Palsy

+1

It can happen that someone who is prone to cold sores (fever blisters) on the lips develop an episode of them after trauma which can include filler injections, sunburn, extreme fatigue, laser resurfacing, etc. I am not aware of Bell's palsy being triggered in such a fashion.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Juvederm safe to have with Bell's Palsy

+1

I reviewed the literature in the last 5 minutes and I find no contraindication for the use of Juvederm will having Bell's palsy.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Juvederm does not cause viral infections

+1

Juvederm does not cause viral infections. That being said the "trauma" of injection around the lips theoretically could precipitate a hsv outbreak in a predisposed previously infected individual. I have not seen this however so it is not common and this applies to any type of trauma to the lip including peels and intense sun, for example.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm

+1

Juvederm does not cause Herpes Simplex. Herpes Simplex is a virus which you would acquire from human contact with someone else that is infected with the herpes virus. There is no association between Juvederm or any injectable and herpes.

David Shafer, MD