Am I a candidate for lap band surgery? BMI 37, AC1 and cholesterol run high.

I believe my BMI is around 37. My AC1 tends to run high as well as cholesterol. I'm not taking meds for either one.  I have had 3 back surgeries and anticipate more. Would I be a candidate for lap band surgery. My current weight is 235. I am 49 years old and I'm 5' 7".

Yes, and the Lap Band is a good option but follow up is important

+1
Hello.  I agree that your BMI and health issues make you a good candidate for bariatric surgery.  Lap Band surgery is the safest bariatric procedure and can lead to significant and lasting weight loss.  However it requires follow up and care from a clinic and team that are dedicated to your care.  High failure rates are most likely the result of poor follow up from clinics that do small volumes and are not due to the Lap Band device.  We think that all patients should be educated about the options, including risks and benefits of the procedures that are available.

Mississauga Bariatric Surgeon

YES, BUT SHOULD CHOOSE A BETTER SURGERY

+1
Hello, you are a candidate for bariatric surgery, but in your case I prefer another type of weight loss surgery like gastric sleeve or gastric bypass.
Lap band will help you with your weight but have to know that have more that 35% of failure and long time disconfort for the patient.
Sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass are more effective that lap band in weight loss but both have better results in control and improve of diabetes, cholesterol, and all related sickness.

Its very good for you to choose leave the obesity behind.

God Bless you  

Pablo D. Garcia V., MD
Dominican Republic Bariatric Surgeon