I Believe I Broke my Nose Four Years Ago, is It Confirmable?

I believe I broke my nose four years ago. After falling on it was red and sensitive. now there is a bump that has grown on it and I want to know if a doctor could still confirm that I broke it. And if so what can I do to restore it.

Broken Nose

+2

If you have a nasal bump, that can be removed to smoothen the profile appearance.  Whether or not it the fracture is confirmable depends.  Sometimes nasal fractures are palpable after healing if the bones have not healed in the correct position.  If the bones have healed in the correct position, it may be hard to feel.  Is there a particular reason why you want it confirmed that it was broken?  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Best Way to Determine if Nose Was Broken

+1

Hi Jessica,

Years after nasal trauma it is difficult to determine if a nose was broken.  Sometimes a X-ray may be helpful, sometimes a palpable deformity is present.  A broken nose requires treatment only if you are unable to breathe well following the trauma, or if the appearance of the nose is bothersome.  In that case it is best to consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.  Choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Broken nose

+1

The only reason to prove that you had a nasal fracture would be so that insurance would cover the cost of correction.   Usually, the diagnosis of fracture can be made on your history and examination by a surgeon and most insurance companies will accept this as reasonable evidence.  If you desire a cosmetic change in the appearance of your nose, confirming a nasal fracture would not be likely to affect my surgical approach to your case, but would only be necessary if your insurance company questions it.  In that case, a CAT scan would confirm whether there is an old fracture.  Good luck!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Did You Break Your Nose and What Can Now Be Done

+1

At this point there is no way to tell for sure if your nose was broken. Given the history of trauma and the bump that developed afterwards, it certainly sounds like the change you see in your nose was the result of the trauma, whether your nose was broken or not. At this point there is surgery that can be done to fix the problem, regardless of the cause. I would see a surgeon with experience in rhinoplasty for an evaluation. If your question involves medical insurance, and how they would handle your claim, your surgeon's office could help you with that.Best of luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reviewing pictures may help to determine if your nose is broken

+1

Determining if a patient indeed has a broken nose really depends on completely reviewing the entire history of the trauma and the symptoms after the accident. Imaging really does not help other than in confirming suspicions or in cases where the break is severe. It sounds like you had a trauma and the nasal bones healed with what is called a bony callus. If this troubles you and you find in unappealing then please consult with a board certified plastic or facial plastic surgeon to determine what the appropriate surgical options would be for your case. I hope this helps!

Giancarlo Zuliani, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

It is impossible to say for sure whether your nose was broken during that event. To remove the bump or otherwise permanently change the appearance of your nose, you will require surgery. Seek a board-certified Facial Plastic Surgeon for a consultation to discuss your options. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broken nose confirmation.

+1

Usually one can only assume if the nose is crooked it was broken. Since there was no bleeding it is unlikely that it was broken.