25 days post op, do I have an infection after Rhinoplasty? Green discharge coming from the tip of my nose.

I am 25 days post op (hump shaven down, droopy tip upturned, nostrils strengthened using septum cartilage grafts and caudal septal deviation correction). I have been having a thick greenish/yellowish discharge since the 2nd week post op. It looks like it's coming from the tip. My skin is still swollen and slightly red, but not painful at all and I don't have a fever. I CAN'T contact my surgeon because he's on vacation (I'll meet him in 10 days). Am I worrying for nothing? If not, what can I do?

Infection post rhinoplasty

+2
It is possibly an infection, especially if the green discharge is coming from the nasal tip and not from the sinuses. Some infections are painful where it hurts to touch the nose, those need to be drained immediately and treated with oral antibiotics. Rarely there can be a cold abscess that does not hurt but the nose remains swollen and discharges as well. That also needs to be drained. 
You should not wait for your doctor to return from vacation. See a covering doctor or another rhinoplasty surgeon in the area to be evaluated. This could be valuable time lost. 
Regards
Dr.J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Infection after rhinoplasty is extremely rare.

+2
You should have your nose checked by the plastic surgeon covering for your own surgeon. Infection is very were after rhinoplasty but your symptoms sound troubling.

Infection

+2
I think its important that you see someone sooner than 10 days from now.  In rhinoplasty, a postoperative infection can have  a negative impact on your final outcome if not treated early, and that can be frustrating since you spent so much time into getting it done in the first place. If your surgeon doesn't have a covering physician, I would see a local ENT and have a evaluation.  Antibiotics sound appropriate in your case.   Good Luck.

Samir Undavia, MD
Princeton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Infection after rhinoplasty

+2
Dear Marzipan93,

• It would be a very good idea to see someone sooner than later
  • The green discharge is a little concerning
  • Does he have a covering physician? An ENT surgeon will be very helpful in your case if you can't find your surgeon

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD