After rhinoplasty my nose is still a little asymmetric. Is it because of the swelling?

Dear doctors, I had an open surgery about 2 weeks ago. They worked on the tip, septum and bridge. My surgeon is on vacation and I am hopeless right now, and can't contact with him. Before the surgery my nose was asymmetric and now the surgery is done the asymmetric side is still a little skew. I feel like the asymmetric side is more swollen right now. I also have opened the suture on the asymmetric side, is it a big problem and will it affect the final result? Thanks

Dont worry yet

+1
It is almost impossible to accuaretly evaluate your nose this soon after surgery. You are at best 10% healed. You will see many changes over the next 6-12 months. Just be patient and remember how much swelling you have right now.

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry two weeks after rhinoplasty often times is the result of swelling.

+1
At two weeks you have a lot of remodeling to do is the swelling subsides. Don't get to focused on the present appearance as it will change significantly over time.

Asymmetry and rhinoplasty

+1
First, no nose is perfectly symmetric or perfectly straight.  Second you are probably very swollen and you have to give it time to settle down.

Swelling

+1
Yes, most likely it is the swelling. Swelling may take up to a year to resolve. In my answers elsewhere where I advise a patient and describe a nasal massage post-rhinoplasty. Hope this will help.

Vartan Mardirossian, MD
Jupiter Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early anxiety after a rhinoplasty

+1
Swelling will play many tricks on you.   You are very early in the post operative recovery period after a rhinoplasty.  Give it 6 months before you start to judge the final result.  

Asymmetry after rhinoplasty

+1
Asymmetry is very normal 2 weeks after a rhinoplasty is normal. It will take a few months to really be able to see your result. Post-op swelling will change daily and it does not go down evenly. As far as the suture goes, I am sure if you speak to your doctor, he/she will put your fears to rest. A suture breaking through after a rhinoplasty is also normal, but you need to speak to your doctor.

Philip Miller, MD