I am scared I will die from a tummy tuck and breast reduction. (I am a 22 year old man, had a previous operation when I was 16)

The doctor told me I will also have to get a liposuction on my sides and a tightening of my muscles. I am a very paranoid person and have history with severe panic attacks. I might just be overreacting. Is it dangerous to get these operations at the same time? What is the chance of dying? Would it be smart not to get the operation and try to live the rest of my life with a corset and shapewear? Can you die of anesthesics even though you've had one earlier (had a breast reduction but unhappy.)?

Tummy tuck, liposuction and breast reduction at the same time.

+1
Hello and thank you for your question.  Tummy tuck, breast reduction and liposuction are procedures that are very commonly performed during one operation. The advantages of having these procedures performed at once include just one anesthesia event and just one recovery period. Generally speaking, the tummy tuck has the most pain associated with recovery, making the breast reduction a breeze for most patients. Depending on your surgeon's policies, there may also be a financial advantage for having the procedures performed at once. In my practice, I discount secondary procedures.  The probability of you having an adverse event during surgery is extremely low given your age and assuming you have no health problems.  All this being said, you must do what is right for you. If you are more comfortable having the procedures separately then I would advise you to do so. I recommend having a frank discussion with your Plastic Surgeon about your concerns.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Multiple procedures

+1

To best help you, a physical examination or picture evaluation is required in order to determine which procedures and techniques will be best for your case.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia concerns

+1
Is it really the anesthesia that concerns you or something else that you must explore? Often times the reasons that hold us back can be profound.

If it really your fear of anesthesia then you must become familiar with the statistics: It is extra-ordinarily rare for you to die from anesthesia at your age being a healthy individual.

Your procedures can be done at the same time or you can do them in two stages. Either approach is correct.  In addition in a person like you with such fear would make me consider doing your surgeries individually and under local anesthesia- this means not putting you to sleep. However given that you are very anxious I would be concerned you would not be able to relax and be co-operative in the operating room.

You have good options and you are young with all life ahead of you. These operations will be life-changing. Figure out what truly holds you back and adjust your life accordingly. I am sure what is holding you back to get the surgery also may show up in other aspects of your life as well.

John M. Anastasatos, MD, FACS

Getting ready for cosmetic surgery

+1
It sounds that you have some significant concerns that seem somewhat excessive.  It would be very important for you to have multiple discussions with your surgeon and also have psychiatric clearance prior to your procedures to make sure you make appropriate decisions that you may not regret later.  These procedures are totally elective and not required.  Combining these is common practice but would be decided based on your overall health, goals, and personal situation.  Good Luck, 

Gaurav Bharti

Gaurav Bharti, MD
Johnson City Plastic Surgeon

+1
It isvery common to have combined procedures done safely as long as you have an excellent surgeon whose opertuve times are not toi lenthy, an excellent anesthestiologist, state of art facility and no health risks in you as well as history of blood clots and anesthetic sensitivity in family members.  It appears that this is not the time for you to have the operation due to your anxiety.  It is elective surgery so I recommend you duscuss your fears with your doctor. Best to you

Constance M. Barone, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Fear of dying from cosmetic surgery

+1
No one needs liposuction in the same way that one need an appendectomy or heart surgery. This is elective. If you are anxious, then do not combine the procedures. Focus on shorter operations first, such as simply the liposuction, under sedation to achieve some modicum of improvement.  Anxiety is normal but if this is taking an extreme form, then seek psychological counseling and do not proceed until you are in a better place emotionally.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

I am scared I will die from a tummy tuck and breast reduction.

+1
Hi. Combined cosmetic surgeries are frequently performed safely. So much depends on the experience of the surgeon and the facilities available. I can't speak for either of the two in Belgium but I'm sure that you can do a local search.

I am more concerned about your state of mind. I would advise against you doing anything until such time that you have psychologically prepared yourself. Good luck

Jose Perez-Gurri, MD