Why Am I Being Put on a Low Fiber Diet Before my Tummy Tuck and Lipo?

Low fiber diet before tummy tuck

+1

The low fiber diet before a tummy tuck is new to us. Make sure your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Nutrition and Diet before tummy tuck or liposuction

+1

In general, tummy tucks and liposuction do not require any form of bowel preparation/regimen (of which low residue diets would be a mild form).  They are typically quick procedures after which you may experience some constipation due to lingering anesthesia recovery, or more commonly - high amounts of postop narcotic medications.  I typically treat these with bowel softeners/mild laxatives and hydration after the fact and if they occur (which is infrequently). 

Bowel preparations and regimens are more common with intra-abdominal surgeries of the bowel such as major hernia repairs.  If you are undergoing such procedures then I recommend you discuss this with your surgeon before taking it upon yourself to decide to follow or ignore his/her advise.

Good luck with your surgery!

Nikesh K. Patel, MD
Freehold Plastic Surgeon

Low fiber diet before abdominoplasty

+1
I do not put my patients on such a regimen. The only possible reason I can think of is an attempt to reduce constipation/straining postoperatively but this can be accomplished by adequate hydration and good old fashioned prune juice!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

+1

I really don't have an answer for you other than your surgeon probably thinks it will make you more comfortable in the first few days after surgery. However I have been doing the procedure for 30 years and have never found that diet modification necessary.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Diets and Tummy Tucks

+1

Your question is an interesting one as it is not standad practice to request body contouring patients to be on any specific diet prior to surgery with the exception of some overall weight loss if needed. It may be an effort to manage the inevitable constipation after surgery that many women experience due to the effects of surgery, anesthesia and pain medicaion.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Pre-op nutrition before a Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+1

I would query that it would be wise to keep your fiber intake low if you are not drinking adequate water. Not intaking sufficient amounts of fluids could actually counteract the benefits of a high fiber diet and cause post-operative constipation. This would increase your likelihood of straining and in turn cause issues with muscle plication, bleeding and sutures with the added pressure (caused by straining).

Protein, and certain vitamins and minerals are crucial in wound healing and recovery. So, your diet can ultimately play a fairly important role in your post-operative surgical experience.

Kindly,

Dr. Ken Dickie

Kenneth Dickie, MD, FRCSC
Barrie Plastic Surgeon