What Size and What Profile?

I am being so very indecisive, and have no idea what size to go with. I know that there is such a small difference between the 371 and 397 but this also seems like a huge decision to make. What do you think? And how do you decide between moderate plus and high profile? I want my boobies to look as natural as possible. I am being completely obsessive over this boobie issue for sure ;) I am 26 years old Weigh 140 5'9 tall Currently wear 32A bra and would like to be a full C Breastfed two kids

Lift is more important than implant size and profile

+1

At size 32 each 100 cc of implant will correspond to 1 cup size change.  If you are an A and want to be a C then you will need 200 cc implants.  I recommend silicone gel implants because they look and feel more natural and the retro-pectoral position is more stable long term.  In the retro-pectoral position the muscle determines anterior projection, not the profile of the implant.  However, you also stated that you breast feed 2 children.  Unfortunately, you have not provided any photographs so you may have some drooping of your breasts too.  It is possible to achieve the look you desire without using large implants by lifting your breast tissue.  There is a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  A circumareola incision is used to place the implants, raise your breast tissue higher on the chest wall to create upper pole fullness and increase your cleavage.  You will achieve increased projection by aligning areola, breast tissue and implant in the same horizontal plane high on the chest wall.  Women frequently focus on size and implant profile when lift is more important.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Size and Profile

+1

I am sure this is a happy time for you as you plan for your breast augmentation.  I understand your dilemma over which implant you should pick that will make you happiest.  You are correct that the difference between the two implants you mentioned is very small. As for which profile, you did say that you wanted as natural look as possible, so a high profile implant will not satisfy that requirement with its exaggerated projection.

To help alleviate your anxiety and perhaps redirect your thinking, I would like to mention that none of this should be in your hands.  Breast augmentation has become one of the most misunderstood cosmetic surgeries, much of that is the surgeon's fault though. Competition and the desire to satisfy the patient has lead most surgeons to say 'yes' to any size desired, in an effort to keep the patient from leaving. Unfortunately, this has had a negative impact on the rate of complications leading to reoperation.

Keeping your goals in mind, your surgeon should determine through 'dimensional planning' the most appropriately sized and profiled implant.  Staying as close as possible to that implant can drop your risk of complications by nearly 10 fold.

Give it some thought and go back to your surgeon and have him size you correctly.  Just like a pair of shoes, no matter how pretty they are, if it isn't in your size, you'll never be able to wear them without problems.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Implant size selection

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:
1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.
Hope this helps.
Dr Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Implant type and profile

+1

The volumes you chose are not that different. AS for the profile, it really depends upon your anatomy and goals. These are often addressed in person.

What Size and What Profile?

+1

It's my feeling that your job is to communicate clearly to your surgeon what results you want. His job is to make the decisions necessary to get you there. Unless you deal with implants daily you should not be required to make that decision. He is the professional and if he is requiring you to pick an implant when you have zero experience with that, perhaps you need another consultation. Get some medical photos off of  breast implant websites to show your surgeon what qualities you like in an augmented breast and also what you don't like and let him take it from there. If the surgeon requires you to make a decision when you have no background or framework of experience in that, it seems to me he is putting responsibilities onto you that you should not have and not taking on the responsibility for which he is trained.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Selecting Breast Implant Size

+1

I understand your apprehension!  Permitting a surgeon to change one of the most private and personal parts of your body can be a big decsion and sometimes the details can be overwhelming.  Rather than fixating on the exact implant size and type that should be used, I'd suggest making sure your surgeon has listened carefully to you about your goals and the size and shape you're hoping to achieve.  Remember, everybody starts with different anatomy and permitting your surgeon the flexibility to finalize implant choice is a good bet.  The volume difference between those two implant sizes is about 7%; keep your focus on the overall picture and good luck.

David S. Martin, MD