Holistic Beauty a Rip-off?

Everyone I know has started some kind of "holistic" beauty regimen, and I'm the odd one out because I'm not sure if I believe that stuff really works to make you look good, get better health or skin care.  My gf's do Master Cleanse, Dr. Joshi and other detox diets, fasting, supplement packs and antioxidant-loading, ingestibles, and use essential oils and aromatherapy to "de-stress" skin. ...are they all getting ripped off? 

Let's break this down into "inside" and "outside."

+3

Inside

• A diet rich in anti-oxidants and omega-3 fatty acids will help keep your cells healthy and slow down the aging process.
  • A diet low in refined sugars and dairy products will help limit acne breakouts.
  • Just be sure you are getting enough calcium and vitamin D to help protect your bones.

Fad diets, including detox diets and the master cleanse, are not the way to go. You don't want to deprive your body of nutrients and other necessities. The body is very good at cleansing itself; you don't need a restrictive diet to do that for you.

Outside

Things you should be doing from the outside are:

• Applying a topical antioxidant and a sunblock every morning
  • Using a retinoid cream every night

Your sunblock should have an SPF of at least 30, and if you are exercising or swimming be sure to reapply often.

Some people find retinoids irritating to the skin, so use it as often as you can while minimizing irritation. You can also apply a moisturizer to soothe any irritation. Moisturizers are important to keep the skin hydrated. The water you drink is important, but to get it to the skin you have to apply it directly on the skin in the form of moisturizers and lotions.

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon