I'm 9 Days PO Tummy Tuck and Start Feeling Bad Yesterday with the Cold Chills?

Should I be worried?

Chills 9 Days After A Tummy Tuck - What Should I Do?

+2

Chills 9 days after a tummy tuck could mean that you have an infection in your abdominoplasty, or because your immune system is down after surgery, it could mean you caught a viral infection.  You need to take your temperature and call your plastic surgeon immediately.  If you are unable to get in touch with your plastic surgeon, contact your family physician.  This is more than likely not a super dangerous situation, but I would not let the sun set without getting in person medical advice. 

Chills and shaking can be related to any number of bodily processes, but obviously this occurring in close proximity to your abdominal surgery certainly makes this the most likely culprit.  On the other hand, this may not be an infection but just an inflammatory process due to wound healing, dissolving hematoma, or even an allergic reaction to the abdominoplasty sutures.  Seek competent medical advice ASAP.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Post Operative Chills

+2

Thank you for the question. Without an in-person examination it is difficult i not impossible to give you any real accurate advice. Having said that, you should see your plastic surgeon as soon as possible. This may be the beginnings of an operative site infection and should be ruled in or out as soon as possible by your surgeon. If an infection has occurred, the earlier it is treated the most likely you are to have a favorable outcome.

There are other causes of post operative fevers, however the treatment of any of the causes will require prompt diagnosis by your surgeon after an evaluation done in person. Don't wait!

Best of luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Cold Chills 9 days post-op

+2

If you have acquired a wound infection, this is about the time you might be having symptoms. I would worry enough to take a temperature, and call in to your surgeon. If you do have a wound infection, you would want to begin treatment promptly.

Thanks for your question, best wishes.

Fever after Tummy Tuck

+1

-It is certainly possible that you have an infection or an undrained seroma related to your tummy tuck operation. 

-It is imperative that you call your plastic surgeon and be evaluated to rule out this possibility.

-Alternatively, you could have come down with a viral illness that has nothing to do with your recent operation.  However, just to be on the safe side, it is always best to contact your plastic surgeon after an operation to make sure that new symptoms aren't related to a recent procedure. 

Best of luck to you!

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS

Chills after tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear that you are having some difficulty during your recovery.  This time period is worrisome for the development of a wound infection.  You should have your operative site evaluated by your surgeon to ensure that a significant issue is not developing.  Good luck!

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Feeling Bad/Chills 9 Days after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Your description of “feeling bad with the cold chills” is concerning. At this stage in your recovery there may be several sources of infection that should be ruled out. This can only be done after careful  evaluation;  see follow-up with your plastic surgeon immediately.

Cold and chills after surgery

+1

Please let your surgeon know that you are not feeling well.  Your surgeon will want to know if you are having any drainage from your incisions, redness around the incisions or heat in this location.  Also, have you noticed any urinary symptoms such as urgency frequency or burning.  Most importantly, are you having any respiratory symptoms such as shortness of breath or chest pain with deep breathing.  Hopefully it is just a viral illness that will clear up soon.

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

If your abdomen and incision looks good it may be a viral illness

+1

Thank you for the question.  You will have to make sure that your surgical site is not a source of your symptoms.  Your plastic surgeon can help do this for you.  In the meantime I would stay well hydrated as this may also be a viral illness.  You will want to be evaluated by your plastic surgeon as soon as you can.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD