If I Want to Screw Down the Cheek Implant Do You Always Have to Go Through the Eye or Can You Go Through the Mouth?

I am worried about my implant shifting so I wanted to have them screwed down but I was told that to screw it down they would have to go through the eye even it the implant will go through the mouth. I don't understand if the implant is going through the mouth incision why can't you screw the implant down through the mouth incision as well. Pls Help

+2

Cheek implants typically do not need to be fixated in place. A small pocket is create to accommodate the implant that isn't large enough for the implant to move around. In my experience, fixating chin and cheek implants creates more issues than it solves. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I perform many Cheek Augmentations using Cheek Implants and I never screw in the silastic implants.  The screw when made flush, with the much softer silastic implant, will most likely tear right through the implant which will not add any stability.  I place the cheek implants, through the mouth...going through the lower eyelid requires cutting the lateral canthus and can result in lower eyelid retraction.  The way to prevent the cheek implant from moving is to close all the tissue layers from the cheek bone outward in layers.  I also secure the implant externally with steri strips and require all cheek implant patients to wear a U-shaped pillow for 1 month.  After a month, the implants are secure and will not move.

Cheek implant fixation

+1

We have been placing cheek implants for over 20 years in the maxilla and have never screwed one down. There is absolutely no need to screw the implant down to the maxilla. Only on rare occasions as the implant shift or migrate which  can be repaired easily under local anesthesia as a touch up adjustment.