Will my Beard Grow Back and Look the Same After Facelift Surgery?

How much will I have to shave of my beard and moustache before I get a facelift?

​Male facelift and beard

+1

Male facelift and beard

In my practice I ask my male patients not to shave for 2 days prior to facelift surgery. This allows for accurate assessment of existing beard pattern. Proper planning and execution of surgery will leave the beard essentially unchanged. The goal of male facelift to create a significant youthful appearance and yet without any tell tale sings of surgery. There are many special considerations in male facelift, and natural beard pattern is just one of many.

Web reference: http://doctorackerman.com/male-facelift-and-male-facial-rejuvenation/

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Changes In Beard Growth

+1

Normally, most surgeons will ask that you are clean shaven for surgical procedures. Regarding beard growth after a face lift, there may be slight changes to it; usually the surgeon takes beard growth into consideration when placing incisions. Most beards grow back generally the same with only minor, if any changes. "Dr. D"

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Beard after male face lift

+1

As long as the incisions are planned carefully the growth should be normal after surgery.  Most surgeon prefer a shaved face before surgery.  

See the link below for results of male face/neck lift

Web reference: http://www.seattleface.com/html/before_n_after_set.php?procedure=face_lift&id=13

Shaving before a Facelift?

+1

My shaving instructions for a man are fairly simple: do not shave for 24 hours prior to a procedure.  A mustache dos not have to be shaved, but a beard should be shaved up to the jawline (not above it).  This allows for easier identification of anatomic boundaries. I ask men to shave with an electric razor starting at 1 week after surgery.  Since a Facelift involves repositioning of hair bearing skin, men must be aware that shaving closer to and slightly behind the ear will be a part of the postoperative result.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift - Will my Beard Grow Back and Look the Same After Facelift Surgery?

+1

Normally, about the same as before, although hair follicles are sensitive to tension and if there is too much tension, they may not grow normally (though that can happen for other reasons, too).  I generally request that patients shave an area near where the incisions will be (with an electric razor only) a few days before the procedure, although if there's any question I request that they leave it alone and I'll take care of it.  Placement of the incisions (usually in the middle of the non hair-bearing area in front of the ear) minimizes the concern that bearded tissue will be brought onto the ear or too close.  Another option later is hair removal for any disobedient follicles...

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Facelifts, litelift, minilifts and hair patterns

+1

Mens beards generally grow back the same.  The sideburns may be altered and hair in front of and behind the ear may be closer to the ear itself

Facelift and Beard

+1

Our routine is that patients will shave the last time 48 hours before a face and neck lift because I want to be able see the outline of the normal facial hair. A mustache does not need to be shaved before the surgery. It is important to manage the beard appropriately during the facelift procedure so that it is not pulled into the ear or behind the ear where it is difficult to shave.

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Shaving prior to facelifts

+1

While I prefer that my male patients shave their beards prior to a facelift, the mustache is of less importance, it will be all right if the beard is neatly trimmed to approximately a length of 5 mm. It is important for male patients to know who that In re-draping and pulling the skin of the neck, The hair bearing skin may become translocated to behind the ear, and some patients find that they need to shave behind the ears after a facelift. Good luck.

Shaving facial hair before a facelift

+1

I do not ask my patients to shave their facial hair off prior to the surgery. If one is going to do it, it should be done at least 48 hours before though. I ask my patients not to shave for at least one week after a Facelift, as the skin is numb and I do not want them to cut themselves while shaving.

Facial Hair and Surgery

+1

First let us hope that you are of the male species!:), I prefer all my patients to be clean shaven, Its post operative where it may take you 5-7 days to let it grow. Post op swelling, a lack of feeling or blurry vision are reasons to not feel compelled to shave. One last reason is depending on how the incisions were closed and what type of suture was used, shaving may potentially shave off the sutures before its time for them to be removed. Hope all goes well.

Reno Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.