Does V Beam Help Scarring?

I was hit on the bridge of my nose about a month ago and now have a small scar that has formed. My dermatologist recommended the V Beam laser to eliminate the scar and I am wondering if this will work or if it is just a ploy to get me in the office for cosmetic type treatments.

Vbeam helps lessen scars

+2
It is unlikely that your dermatologist said that it will eliminate your scar. however, it will help remodel the scar and promote new collagen production. It may require several treatments for maximal results.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

...may help if done early, especially redness

+1
Yes, it can help lessen the look of scars, especially early scars, or red scars. Usually several treatments are needed, spaced 2-3 weeks apart. V beam can also help with KELOID scarring. 

regards

Dr Davin S. Lim 
Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

VBeam for scars

+1

VBeam is most helpful for scars that are pink or have telangiectasias (broken blood vessels) either on or around them.  It primarily helps reduce redness.  Some people feel that it helps with scar remodelling itself (e.g. flattens thicker scars) though I think if true that is much more unpredictable.

Daniel Berg, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

V beam for scarring

+1

It could help in two ways.

Being a vascular laser it can reduce redness and visible vessels.  Also by heating the dermis, it can help remodel collagen and thus improve texture.  If you have a raised scar, kenalog injections may help flatten.

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist