My Parents Think I Have Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Do I Need a Rhinoplasty?

How can I convince my family that I don't have Body Dismorphic Disorder, but just want to change my nose because I've always been unhappy with it? My family thinks I'm mentally ill and need psychiatric help. I just want a smaller nose! I'm sick of people saying "your nose isn't THAT bad" because I know what it looks like, and I've disliked it for a decade now. They are questioning if having nose surgery would make me happier or more miserable and make me want more surgery.

Rhinoplasty and Body Dysmorphic Disorder

+2

I don't know how old you are, but if you are a minor you must listen to your parents. Having said that , just because someone wants a rhinoplasty does not mean they have a body dysmorphic disorder. This is a diagnosis made by a  mental health professional, not a parent or family member. Having surgery  is a personal decision but nobody 'needs' a rhinoplasty.

You have multiple issues

+1

1- Do you need a rhinoplasty? - no one needs a rhinoplasty, if you do not like the appearance of your nose, and you and the doctor agree on what should and can be done, then it may be good for you.

2-Problem with parents. The solution to that is when  you are financially independent, go get your nose done. You do not have to depend upon them.

3- Body dysmorphic disorder. As stated before, this is a psyciatric diagnosis to be made by a professional in that field. If you spend all day worrying about your nose and it prevents you from taking part in normal daily tasks and socialization, then you might fill the bill, but nonetheless, perhaps seeking some counseling with your parents might be helpful.

Good Luck

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Body Dysmorphic Disorder and Rhinoplasty

+1

Body Dysmorphic Disorder is a psychiatric diagnosis and that can only be made by a psychiatrist. It is excessive concern about and preoccupation with a perceived defect of ones physical features.

Most people that come to the office for a rhinoplasty procedure tell me their family and friends can't understand why they want to do the surgery. The same is true with almost every other procedure we do.  Also about half of the rhinoplasty patients I see want about the same degree of change that you show in your picture. See a board certified plastic surgeon and if he is concerned you are not a good surgical candidate he will let you know. If you are truly concerned with whether or not you have a psychiatric disorder then it would be a good idea to seek consultation with a psychiatrist before you see the plastic surgeon.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Body dysmorphic disorder

+1

Perhaps it would be helpful to you to have a group session with your family and a counselor or psychiatrist and work through these issues. It would only help you to have everyone on board before any surgery.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon