Belly Button Size / Shape After Extended Tummy Tuck

Overall I am very pleased with the results thus far given the swelling. I'm curious on my belly button size (Is this normal, will it shrink and go "in-ward" as it heals?) I did learn that there was no ab repair in my Post Op visit. Since my abs were not protruding and or seperated (after three kids?) they didnt need repair. Is this also normal and or relate to any of my resulsts in any way I should be aware of? Thank You in Advance for your comment / feedback.

Tummy Tuck Belly Buttons and Muscle Separation Repair.

Belly buttons should look normal and natural and non surgical after tummy tuck.  Period.  The most common error is to make belly buttons look far too large and gaping.   The rectus muscle sepapation , I find, needs repaired to the midline in 95% of all abdominoplasties.  Rectus = Abs in you terminology.

Belly Buttone size after tummy tuck

After and tummy tuck the belly button often looks larger due to swelling. Over time I have found that the size of the belly button does get smaller. In terms of your muscle repair, after having 3 children I would think that you would have some laxity and need the muscles sewn together in the mid-line.That is very standard for a tummy tuck for most people.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

After looking at your photos, it appears that the surgery itself was a success.  As far as muscle plication, it is hard to say for sure whether or not it would have been necessary, pictures can sometimes be deceiving.  I usually examine the patient prior to surgery to determine whether there is any diastasis, (muscle seperation) but ultimately it is what I find at the time of surgery that determines what I do.  However, I must say that I think your belly button has been inset much too large.  It is unlikely that this will "shrink" with time. The good news, however, is that you can have a revision that should make your belly button look quite acceptable.  The belly button is the make or break of the operation.  You can get a great, flat abdomen, but with a large, crooked or otherwise cosmetically unacceptable belly button, what good was it to have the surgery after all? Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Belly button and abdominoplasty

You are way to early to worry about the final rsult of your umbilicus. It will take some time for the swelling to dissipate.

Belly button can be key to a great tummy tuck

The lower tummy tuck scar can be concealed under clothing, but the belly button scar can be visible and make or break a tummy tuck result. It is important for those considering tummy tuck to pay attention to the belly button in the 'before and afters' as each surgeon may approach this area differently. I don't think that the diameter of the belly button scar will get smaller during healing, though the scar can become paler. Muscle repair too might have been nice. After full healing you can take matters into your own hands, with further weight loss and muscular strengthening.

peterejohnsonmd

Unhappy with Belly Button Size / Shape After Extended Tummy Tuck

Regarding: "Belly Button Size / Shape After Extended Tummy Tuck
Overall I am very pleased with the results thus far given the swelling. I'm curious on my belly button size (Is this normal, will it shrink and go "in-ward" as it heals?) I did learn that there was no ab repair in my Post Op visit. Since my abs were not protruding and or seperated (after three kids?) they didnt need repair. Is this also normal and or relate to any of my resulsts in any way I should be aware of? Thank You in Advance for your comment / feedback
."

Your new belly button appears abnormally large and an "outie". This MAY improve with scarring but I am skeptical that it will ever be a sexy belly button. Only time will tell.

I am stumped by the decision NOT to repair your tummy muscles. There is NO WAY you could have had 3 full pregnancies and have done so without separation of the six pack muscles. That is a physical impossibility. You must have misunderstood the nurse's / or doctor's comments.

For the time being there is nothing to be done. I would wait 6-8 months before examining the situation and deciding if anything needs to be done.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Swelling after a TT can make your BB look larger than it will be

Your belly button looks a little large, but it may well shrink as the swelling goes down.  A circular scar often contracts inward.  I cannot imagine why your muscles were not plicated.  Your pre-op photos certainly show protuberance.  In a woman who has had children I always tighten the muscles.  It is part of my initial consultation discussion.  If a woman specifically asks not to have it done it is noted in the chart.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Belly Button size and shape after Extended Tummy Tuck.

It's hard to tell from your picture, but could it be that you have a cotton ball or gauze dressing in your umbilicus? If so, this will be removed when your umbilical sutures are removed. Though I do not personally use this type of belly button bandage, I have seen surgeons who feel that they enhance the funnel shape by doing this.

I'll bet everyone feels silly if this is indeed the case!

Your (early) result looks good, though I too am curious why a rectus sheath plication was not performed. I suspect the majority of PS would do one, but each case is unique and either you trust your surgeon's judgment or you don't. Sounds like he was honest in telling you, so why question his surgical motives and decision-making now?

Take care, and recover well!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Belly button size and shape after tummy tuck

Please keep in mind that your result will change a great deal in the coming weeks and months.

It is possible your umbilicus will contract - only time will tell.

It is the case that the occasional patient will not receive a muscle repair, but it is difficult to understand why you would not have.

You need to keep in touch with your surgeon to ensure your questions are answered and you get the best possible result.

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Belly button size and shape after a tummy tuck

Thank you for your photos. The postoperative belly button looks large, unnaturally round and I doubt that it will shrink with time. Looking at your preoperative photos, you do have muscle laxity and I'm surprised that your plastic surgeon did not do a muscle plication. All these I discuss with my patients during the initial consultation and the preoperative visit. I design the belly button on my patients differently to create a more natural look, hide the scars and not to look like someone applied a hole puncher to your belly button. You can see examples on my site at bellevueplasticsurgeons.