Is it Safe to Get BBL with Local Anesthesia While Sedated?

my doctor said that insted of general anesthesia in a bbl hes going to use local and that i will be sedatded. What does that mean? Is it safe?

BBL is Safe Under Local Anesthesia and Sedation

+2

It is possible to perform all liposuction, tummy tucks, and BBLs  (and everything else e.g. facelifts, rhinoplasties, and breast augmentations) under monitored intravenous sedation and local anesthesia. I know this to be true because I've done this for about 30 years without an anesthesia related complication in an AAAASF accredited ambulatory surgery facility associated with my office. Modern general anesthesia is safe, yet plastic surgical fatalities are mostly related to general anesthesia mishaps or post-op pulmonary embolism.  I think that IV sedation is probably safer than general anesthesia. It is certainly less expensive and for BBL ,in particular, it allows much more freedom and safety in the intra-operative positioning and repositioning of the patient.

Even though patients report no intra-operative pain and have no clear memory of their operative experience, it is possible to suction the upper back, upper arms, lateral chest and bra-strap rolls, waist, "love handles" and inner thighs and knees and graft the buttocks with the patient in a prone (face down) position and then turn them supine (face up) and suction the abdomen, pubis and anterior inner thighs and then turn them back on either their sides or their stomachs and graft additional fat to the buttocks. The turning is safe and efficient with patient assistance and without the expense of additional drapes and OR personnel that are often required when general anesthesia is used. Local anesthesia also facilitates recovering patients in a prone (face down) position which is advantageous for the freshly grafted buttocks.

In the end, it is the personal preference of your surgeon, but sedation and local is definitely safe.

San Leandro Plastic Surgeon