Can I Have a BBL and TT with Diabetes, Sleep Apnea, Hypertension and Hypercholestremia? (photo)

I am a 36 year old whom pregnancy and diet have dealt a hard blow. I am diabetic (Metformin 500mg bid), hypertensive (nifedipine 160mg qid, labetalol 600 bid) and have sleep apnea and also high cholesterol. All my diseases are controlled excepting the cholesterol which I am trying hard to control. I walk for over 90 minutes four to five time per week. My question is I would really love to get a BBL and a tummy tuck. will it be possible with my medical history and how many surgeries will I need?

Can I Have a BBL and TT with Diabetes, Sleep Apnea, Hypertension and Hypercholestremia?

+2

I suspect that weight loss may be the best advice for you prior to considering surgery.  If medical clearance is obtained and it is determined that you are healthy enough to have surgery, I would start with the BBL and then do the tummy tuck at a later date.  I perform about 500 Brazilian buttlifts each year, and this procedure is the most surgeon dependent plastic surgery procedure.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of Brazilian buttlifts each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Diabetes and Tummy Tuck

+1
Thank you for your post. Diabetes is a disease that should demand a healthy respect from both surgeon and patient in plastic surgery. It is a disease that affects the immune system and can increase the risk of infection, a disease that affects the healing potential of a wound and can cause opening of a wound, and is a disease of the circulation that can lower the blood flow to the operated tissue and cause necrosis or tissue death. This needs to be managed as follows:

1. Tight blood glucose control with diet, exercise, and medication. You need to see your internal medicine doctor regularly and make sure your diabetes is well controlled.
2. If you are overweight, then losing weight decreases your risk in tummy tuck surgery or any other surgery for that matter.
3. If you have high blood pressure, this needs to be managed and well controlled by your internal medicine doctor as well.
4. ABSOLUTELY NO SMOKING!
5. Consider with your surgeon HyperBaric Oxygen therapy pre- and post-op.
6. Make sure you understand from your surgeon and anesthisiologist what medications you should take or not take prior to surgery.

It is very possible to have a great outcome as a diabetic following tummy tuck surgery, but minimizing the risk is the most rational way of accomplishing this.

Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Multiple procedures

+1

Given your stated past medical history, you will need medical clearance before any elective surgery. In addition, I would recommend breaking your procedure wish-list into smaller procedures.  Please see a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS