Wil My Previous Years of Smoking Get in the Way of My BBL?

I am very interested in getting the procedure done but I'm very concerned about my smoking habit! I have been smoking since I was 22 and I am now 36 turning 37 this year! I am sooooo ready to quit but very nervous about the weight gain! I don't want nothing to get in my way with this surgery! My main question is did I do damage to myself than I already did? Will this get in the way?

Smoking and BBL

+2

Smoking is obviously bad for any surgery.  Some surgeries, smoking can compromise the results more so than others.  The Brazialian butt lift is definitly a surgery that you can't cheat on if you want the best results.  If you smoke just one cigarette your risks of poor outcome and complications will dramatically increase.  My advice is quit earlier enough before surgery that it is out of your system.  Makes sure you can maintain the healthy lifestyle before you commit to surgery.

Good luck, and thanks for the question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

Cigarettes and Surgery

+2

Smoking significantly decreases healing potential due to the decrease in peripheral blood flow in the body. Due to a higher risk of infection and a slower healing rate I will not perform any elective surgeries, such as a Brazilian Butt Lift, on smokers. If the patient decides to quit smoking, I will operate after at least seven months without cigarettes.

Jaime Perez, MD
Brazilian Butt Lift Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Quitting smoking will give the best results

+2

Smoking can decrease the fat graft "take" and impair your Brazilian Butt Lift results. If you can stop smoking for at least a month before and after surgery, you should have virtually the same results as a non-smoker.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

ALL nicotine should be stopped before elective surgery

+1

Hi there-

If your goal is to be safe and have the very best outcome, it is important that you stop any and all nicotine ingestion (patches and gums are bad too) at least a month before your surgery, and that you continue to abstain for at least a month after your surgery.

It would be even better if you could stop altogether...

Work on stopping- and once you've been off for a few weeks visit a qualified BL surgeon.

Good luck!

Armando Soto, MD

Smoking and Elective Surgery

+1

As a rule before performing any surgery on a patient, they must be smoke free for 6 weeks before and 6 weeks after. The longer the better. Smoking delays healing and effects surgical results so it is best that you wait as long as possible from quitting to have your surgery.

Leo Lapuerta, MD