Pain in one breast. My surgeon is on vacation out of the country. Could it be a nerve?

I had a surgery 16 days ago, 440 and 470 cc under the muscle. Swelling going down nicely, I feel a bit of swelling pain at the very bottom of my breats but it also can be related to the uncomfortable compression bra that I'm wearing. I went out on day 10 for the first time and after a few hours I felt a pain at one spot in my upper right breast closer to armpit. Its also the breast that sits a bit higher than the other one. The strap goes exactly over the painful spot, could it be just a nerve?

+1
Yes it could be a nerve. The best thing to do is to contact your plastic surgeon's office since he should have someone covering his practice while he is out of the country.

Alexandria Plastic Surgeon

Pain 2 weeks after breast augmentation

+1
Yes, it could be a nerve, irritated by the pressure of the strap.
Or it could be irritated muscle - now that you are more active.
If the pain goes away when you don't wear the strap, contact your surgeon's office to find out who is covering his practice while he is away.
Discuss your pain and ask if you can stop using the strap. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Pain after sub-muscular breast augmentation

+1
The pain that you describe is not uncommon after sub-muscular augmentation and can be due to the muscle dissection.  However if it continues I'm certain that your plastic surgeon has coverage you should call the office and asked to see the physician who is covering your surgeons practice.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

+1
It could be the nerve--after sub muscular breast augmentation--to be on the safe side you should contact your Surgeon's office.

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

+1
Yes, it could be a nerve and, most likely, it's either that or something equally non-worrisome.  After submuscular implants it's actually pretty common to have symptoms such as these, and you could have stretched the muscle (or nerve) nearby with your activity, etc.

However, you cannot necessarily assume that that's what it is and leave it at that.  If it doesn't get better in the next day or so, or if it gets worse, you should contact your PS or whoever is covering for him and let him make that decision.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of RealSelf100

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Sub muscular implants can create significant discomfort for weeks after the operation.

+1
Asymmetric pain after breast augmentation is not uncommon. Sub muscular implants have a longer convalescence and sub glandular. If you're concerned your surgeon should have arrange for a plastic surgeon to back Him up that you could check in with.

tweaked a sensory nerve

+1
Most likely you just tweaked a sensory nerve.  If it does not improve over the next few days then you should contact the surgeon covering your plastic surgeon's practice.  

Breast Pain post augmentation

+1
You should certainly be seen by the covering physician.  What you are describing sounds normal, but I cannot make that call without actually examining you first.  GOod Luck.

Dr. Taranow, NYC

Douglas Taranow DO, FACOS

Pain in your breast 10 days after breast augmentation

+1
Pain after surgery is common. It is very likely the pain in your one breast 10 days after your breast augmentation is normal, but you should speak with your surgeon about this. All surgeons are still reachable even when vacationing overseas and we all have a covering physician in the event that someone needs to be evaluated in person. Speak to your surgeon's office until you get a answer that is satisfactory to you.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Breast pain

+1
If you have pain in the breast after surgery that you feel is not normal, then you should be seen by your surgeon.  If he/she is not available often there is someone covering for that person and you should call the office.