Is there a way to fix this scar above my belly button? (photos)

Over a year ago my belly button piercing rejected from my body and literally ripped its way right through my skin, splitting it in half. After it healed I was left with a circle like scar right above my belly button. It isn't the worst thing, but I would rather it wasn't there it does make me self conscious. I have heard of umbilicoplasty, but I am not sure if this is the correct procedure since it does not technically touch my belly button per say. What are my options and what would they entail?

Scar therapy

+1

The gold standard for scar therapy is pressure and time - occasionally a year or more.  If this fails then scar revision surgery may be considered. Although the results of scar therapy vary from person to person and scar to scar, the results are considered permanent.

Not infrequently potential patients avoid surgery because fear of an unsightly scar. To remedy this, I now utilize and formulate compounded topical creams to treat, relieve and minimize scars for each of my patients:

• new scars

• old scars

• surgical scars

• keloid scars

• stretch marks

• hypertrophic scars

• hyperpigmented (dark) scars

• various acne scars, and more...

These scar removal creams contain prescription strength medications each individually known to reduce and/or reverse the scarring process but never before compounded together into one high potency formulation. These medications are added to a base of anhydrous silicone (the most common ingredient in everyday topical scar therapy) and Pracaxi oil, found in the Amazon rainforest and known for its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antibacterial, and antifungal properties. Many health insurance plans actually cover the cost of the creams and they can be delivered directly to the patients door step. In other words, no need for multiple trips to the doctor for expensive and painful laser treatments, or wasted money on minimally effective over-the-counter topical scar therapy gels or silicone sheets that are unsightly and/or fail to stay on. Instead, with just two applications a day my patients now perform scar therapy in the comfort of their own home.  Glad to help.

Scar Above Bellybutton

+1
Lasers can be tried first without little risk of any complications and they may help to improve the appearance.   If this didnt work, a scar revision can be performed.  I typically punch out a small section and suture the area (which are left in for a week), and then follow with laser treatments 3-6 weeks later.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

Scar on bb

+1
Very difficult operation to do without adding more scars!!! Only do this if you can live with the downside of the operation... 

Scar revision

+1
A scar revision may be a reasonable approach, but the scar will not be invisible. Hopefully the revision will make it smaller.

Scar around bellybutton

+1
Umbilicoplasties is can be tricky. Sometimes they can be worse than the original problem. I would advise you to have an in person consultation with plastic surgeons to get their advice.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS